loach ID?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medge00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey y'all, i think this is a loach of some sort, but i'm not sure which... anyone have any ideas? he's only a few inches long.

sorry about the double shot!!

Probably a yoyo or gangetic loach (Botia lohachata or almorhae). Certainly a Botia species of some sort. Tried loaches.com yet? That's your best bet. Pretty guy/gal!

Any chance of getting a photo that shows the tail??? It could be a Yo-Yo Loach, Botia almorhae, but it also could be the Gold Zebra Loach, Botia histrionica, or Botia rostrata. It doesn't have the typical 'Y' shaped markings of B. almorhae.

The Pakistani Loach is the same as the Yo-Yo Loach. The scientific name is now Botia almorhae. I agree that the loach in question closely resembles some variants of B. almorhae but there are some differences in the markings. Yo-Yo (Pakistani) Loaches usually (but not always) have 'Y'-shaped markings. It MAY be a slightly different Botia species.

Yes... I agree with Fruitbat on that one. The Yoyos usually have incomplete stripes that extend only about half way down the body and then stop. Darnit. I know I've seen this loach before, but I can't quite put a name to the guy.

I think it is Botia almorhae but Botia histrionica and Botia rostrata are also possibilities. Either way it is a darned pretty loach! Now if I could only find some of those Botia 'angelicus' that are supposed to be coming in!!!

Those Angelicus are beauts. Hard to find, esp. since a lot of ppl can't agree on nomenclature for them. Liveaquaria.com has them as "Angelicus Botias" and gives the sp. name Botia angelicus which, as far as I've been able to tell, is not a valid binomial sp. name.

I've seen some at a store in New Jersey, and at a NYC store (New World Aquarium, for those who know it). They are beautiful, and grow to about 5-6 inches. When they get that big, they're really pricey (I've seen them for $50)!! But I considered getting them for quite some time. Eventually landed some beautiful Kuhlis and decided that I didn't need any more loaches... for now. :D

Thanks butterfly....I read that one as soon as I got my January issue! :D

I think the scientific name for that fish is now Botia kubotai.

my dude looks similar to the dario, but has different markings around the eye area.... i agree that it may not be a yoyo. all the ones i've seen have the half bars that form, well, yoyo shapes. i'll get a new pic up soon including the tail.

well, thus far i think it looks the most like the botia rostrata.... still working on getting another pic up... thanks for all your input!

Back
Top Bottom