Loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rutherford_3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want a opinion on loaches. Can I put one in a cichlid tank? Will my cichlids try and harm the loach. In my tank I have a jack Dempsey and a blood parrot and a green Texas cichlid and a blue acara in a 75 gallon tank they are still fry.

I'm not sure I just went to the pet store and the lady just said loach

Most larger loaches usually do well with cichlids, but most also prefer to be in small groups of 4 or more. In your tank, I would say no. You have some fairly large growing fish, and you're going to be over stocked when your fish reach sub-adult size as it is.

I want a opinion on loaches. Can I put one in a cichlid tank? Will my cichlids try and harm the loach. In my tank I have a jack Dempsey and a blood parrot and a green Texas cichlid and a blue acara in a 75 gallon tank they are still fry.

I have a community tank with guppies, mollies, platties etc as well as two blood parrot fish and I do have a spotted loche they don't bug him at all because he minds his own business and does his thing at the bottom but it just depends every tank is different. Being completely honest too he's an ugly fish I'd say he'd be fine but you never know

I have a community tank with guppies, mollies, platties etc as well as two blood parrot fish and I do have a spotted loche they don't bug him at all because he minds his own business and does his thing at the bottom but it just depends every tank is different. Being completely honest too he's an ugly fish I'd say he'd be fine but you never know

What type of spotted loach? Botia or sewellia. Both quite different.

Pretty much all loaches need a group, most if not all prefer softer water, this is in contrast to that preferred by most live bearers. Mollies are hard water fish for sure, they can and are often acclimated to marine conditions as feeder fish. Black mollies spring to mind.

I have a friend who has a Cichlid tank setup and he has 5 YoYo loaches. Has been this way for over a year with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom