Long nose Hawk causing $$$ problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhampton_wsu

Aquarium Advice Regular
Today I bought a Borbonius Blotchy Anthias and as soon as I aclimated it to my tank my Long Nose Hawk started attacking it. Does anybody have an opinion about this. Do you think he will continue and kill it or is he just showing it who's boss. I've tried to catch the Hawk but thus far I've had no luck.

It's a dominance factor and they'll have to play out their parts. If the anthia shows damage or lesions then it should be removed.

Short term solution might be to shut off the lights and move the rock around when they show aggression.

Give it a couple of days to settle down. It's amazing the different personalities of the same fish. I have a long-nose hawk and he never bothers anything. Never has. He bobs up and down at feeding time and eats from my fingers. They are really cool fish.

Prior to this I hadn't noticed a problem with my Hawk. I've had him for four months. I only have one fish in my tank that I've added after the Hawk and that was a banded pipe fish I added over two months ago. With that said the Anthias made it through the night and he's kind of kept to him self today. The hawk doesn't go looking for him but if the Anthias comes out he'll dart toward him. My Hawk also practically eats out of my hand. If necessary I think that is how I'll catch him...

Back
Top Bottom