Long term stocking plan for my 30 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TT71

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 30 gallon tank (long) I'm running a penguin right now it is stocked with

7 zebra danio
7 neons
2 african dwarf frogs
1 oto catfish.

I was thinking on adding 5 or 7 black neon tetra or some other tetra
and 1 or 2 german blue or gold ram or maybe a Bosemani Rainbow. If my idea or plan is not a sound one and suggestions would be appreciated.
The filter in use is a Penguin 150 with a biowheel. I can also add another hob filter but it is rated for up to a 20 gallon tank if I remember correctly.

I would add up the school on the Otocinclus cats to at least 4 or 5.
Once the Oto cat school is up, I think you could add a ram or two.

Not a bosemani rainbow though, it grows too big for a 30 gallon really plus it needs a school of at least 5

Thanks for the response should those additional oto's be in addition to the black neon tetras? or should I not bother with those?

TT71 said:
Thanks for the response should those additional oto's be in addition to the black neon tetras? or should I not bother with those?

Make sure you have enough food for the otos! I didn't have enough algae in my 29g for even just 1. I gave mine to a friend with constant algae battles and they are much happier.

I personally don't like the look of multiple small schools of different species. I would add to the schools of the species you already have, just because i prefer that. I think without the rams you would be ok adding a proper school of black neons, but with the rams I am not so sure....

Gabysapha - Thanks for the words. I think I'm going to skip the third school and just add to the schools I have. Once I get more algae to support a few more ottos add them. Then add the rams and I'll be set. Now I just have to stick to my plan!!

Hello TT71, this is just my opinion, but I would actually recommend adding more otos now rather than waiting. Often IME, otos do not do well alone and tend to get stressed and quit eating if there is just one. If you still see your little guy eating and swimming around, then he is probably ok for a bit, but if you see him just sitting all the time, I would get him some friends asap. You can always suppliment their diet with blanched veggies and algae wafers too.
Also, keep an eye on your frogs to make sure they get enough food. Its pretty common for afd in fish communities to get out-competed for food, do just keep an them. Watch them with rams too. Rams are placid cichlids, but many of them will still chase other fish out of their little territories, and the adf might get picked on. Just letting you know. It might be fine too, just something to keep an eye on. :)

Back
Top Bottom