Looking ahead: Blood Parrot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This weird disease that apparently nobody can identify has swept through almost all of the platies in my 40 gallon tank. Remaining fish consist of one sick ram, 5 neons (appear to be immune) and 6 danios (immune also.) Lets say I kill off this disease, whether that be that the disease literally kills every remaining fish until it has nothing left to live on, or I find another way, I have a whole lot of room left in my tank as this nasty killer disease greatly reduced the population to a whopping 50% of its original state.

If by chance the two remaining platies (of 8!) survive, then I'll only have 2 platies, 1 ram and a few little schooling fish in my 40. Is it possible to maybe add a blood parrot or two? They sell them at 2 Petcos near my house

If you no longer want your neons and danios you can get a blood parrot. Blood parrots look cute and doofy but they are a cichlid and are as nasty as other cichlids. But a couple would fit in your 40 gallon.

I personally think there ugly but my wife, who I love and will do anything for, thinks they are so cute. She charmed me into getting one and as soon I put it in it terrorized my tank of smaller African cichlids. So I took it back to the store and she no longer worries about the fish in my tank.

They can be very territorial, but sometime not so much. It all depends on the individual fish. For a 40g I would only recommend 1, if you get 2 there wouldn't be any room for anything else. They grow well over 8". Other semi-aggressive cichlids that would fit your community are rainbows, festivum, and fire mouths. But with the small schoolers, and livebearers I would reccomend gourami(pearl&three spot) and rainbows(bosemani) for your next addition.

This idea may be considered way in the future if I have nothing left in my 40 gallon, but for now like you both said, there are other sensitive fish that i want to keep. Gonna go with the hatchetfish tomorrow since I noted that those small schooling types appear to be immune to whatever is killing the platies

Just out of precaution I'd still recommend waiting until your tank is healthy before adding new stock. Why risk it? (Unless you have a quarantine set aside.)

Back
Top Bottom