looking for advice on tank cycling...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amberfuel

Aquarium Advice Newbie

looking for advice on tank cycling...i have a lone male betta which was in a minibow 2.5 while setting up a glass 7 gallon bow front. do you think it would be allright to put him in hospital tank temporarily and use the gravel bed from the 2.5 gal, mixed with new rinsed gravel in setting up the 7 gallon? if so, how long do i need to wait to put him in the 7 gallon? or maybe this is not a good idea at all, should i start the 7 gallon with all new gravel?

I personally would avoid the need to cycle the 7 gal by simply moving everything from the 2.5 into the 7 (including the fish).

Since the 2.5 is cycled, it will have all the bacteria needed for the betta. By moving everything over, you won't disturb the cycle, and everything should go on as before (except the betta will have more room & be happier). Monitor the water for a few days afterwards just in case. I have set up my 70+30 gal system from a cycled 10 gal this way, and I never saw any trace of NH3 or NO2.

Back
Top Bottom