Looking for some 411

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Migs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I've been looking to purchase an Oranda online for my 40 Gallon Sea Clear II and happened to find a Watonai Goldfish... Beautiful!!!
My questions is can I have this in my current 40 Gallon? I currently have 2 fancies... I've been trying to find out more information on them but can't find them anywhere... Please help me if you something. I don't want to introduce it to my current Goldfish Family and then find out that I did the wrong thing.
Thank you!

A watonai can grow to a foot or more. It really wouldn't be appropriate for a 40gal aquarium... they need a pond.

I personally do not buy high end goldfish, they are too sensitive. I have found that many fish can be much more sensitive if they are from high end breeders (discus, goldfish, etc.). Many people get into these types of fish and do well with them if bought from the LFS and then struggle even to keep them alive if ordered online from high end sources.

I suggest asking the LFS for certian types and colors and wait to see what comes in.

That's too bad because they are Beautiful :-( . Thank you so much for the quick reply!!

I personally do not buy high end goldfish, they are too sensitive. I have found that many fish can be much more sensitive if they are from high end breeders (discus, goldfish, etc.). Many people get into these types of fish and do well with them if bought from the LFS and then struggle even to keep them alive if ordered online from high end sources.

I suggest asking the LFS for certian types and colors and wait to see what comes in.

That is a good point, too. These fish will be very sensitive as they are extensively inbred to keep the species.

The biggest problem is they are cared for too well by the breeders. If a breeder does massive water changes every other day and you only do them once a week, the fish will not do as well. Any time you select for anything other than health and hardiness you will lose health and hardiness.

Back
Top Bottom