Looking into shrimp.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finecheapwine4u

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thoughts on your skunk cleaner? I have a 20g reef. And would like to add one shrimp most likely a cleaner shrimp. Pros and cons of these little guys? I heard they are pretty active that is my main factor in getting. Thanks

Most are pretty active. Dont see much of a con other than some fish eating them. But reef safe fish usually wont cause you any problems with that!

I have a skunk cleaner and a peppermint in my 75. The skunk tends to hang out on the back of my rock pile but will come around to the front from time to time. (The back of the rock pile is just where he settled in. He's not really shy IMO.) The peppermint stays under the rocks unless it's feeding time or I have my hand in the tank.

I also have a coral banded in my 37 which cruises around mostly behind the rockwork unless it's feeding time or the lights are out. If you 'd like to have other varieties of shrimp, avoid these as they may be aggressive to others. I've never tried myself, but I have read both ways from others. I have seen stories on occassion of them atttacking small fish.

All three of my shrimp will jump on my hand when it's in the tank. The coral banded is a little less likely to do so, but he will.

If you're looking for a shrimp that will be visible most of the time, a skunk cleaner is probably the way to go. All the rest can be pretty secretive.

Wow thanks for the quick response! Sounds like a skunk cleaner it is. Since I got a 20 I'm thinking I'm only gonna get one. Anybody else kept 2 in a nano?

Not two cleaners but I do have two candy/camel shrimp in my 10 gal... And boy they are heaps of fun not to mention super decorative :)

Back
Top Bottom