looking to buy new tank(glass or acrylic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
acrylic is a lot lighter so if its a huge tank then that may be a good option but for smaller tanks glass is just fine and scratches less and is usualyl cheaper

Acrylic weighs less, is stronger than glass (less 'cracks'), and usually lacks 90-degree corners or top/bottom frames...but acrylic also scratches more easily.

You may want to consider what size tank you're considering, what location and type of stand you have for it, and whether or not you like the look of rounded corners without top/bottom frames (acrylic) or if you like 90-degree corners with top/bottom frames (glass).

There isn't much difference functionally.

Good luck!

We/I have a plan to install a large tank within a high traffic area in the house sometime in the future. After reading some on glass vs acrylic, I'm going with glass. One of the points that swayed my decision was the fact that some fish can scratch the acylic. Heck, if they can scratch it, I can only imagine what'll happen to the outside. I'll deal with the weight of glass by beefing up floor joists or whatever is needed.

Dave

One other small difference is that acrylic is a better insulator than glass. On large tanks a lot of heat can be lost through the glass surfaces (though NOT as much as through evaporation if there are gaps at the top). Acrylic is better at preventing this heat loss. Again though for $$$/gallon, for durability (scratches), and for smaller size tanks, glass is definately the way to go.

im looking to buy a 29 gal tank. from the responses it sound like i will not need acrylic. i have two children, if some fish can scratch it they are sure to. i guess if they can scratch the tank they could break glass also. thanks for the input

sith j

Here is a cost comparison from an on-line manufacturer 'Aquariums For You'

Glass 96"long x18"wide x36"high with glass canopy...no other options like drains, overflows, etc. $3,345.00

Acrylic 96x18x36 plastic canopy no other options.... $2,281.00

I had these folks price me out a tank that I would love to put in our home....after the divorce of course. ;^)

Dave :roll:

Back
Top Bottom