Looking to put plants in tank, Need Help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFanatic88

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi sorry if this is not in the right place.
i am looking to eventually trade out my fake plants for real ones. but idk how to do it. can i just put the plants in little pots and put them in my tank or do i have to take up my gravel and put a special substrate in? i really need help and preferabally the easiest and cheapest way as i dont have a job right now.

I have planted tanks & I did not use any special substrate, so far so good. My 3 tanks have gravel & I just anchored the plants in the gravel, one tank has been running about 4 months, the other two a couple of weeks. Someone more experienced may have a different answer but that is what I did, I believe there is a layer that is supposed to go down first but not sure it's a necessity.

FishFanatic88 said:
so you just put the roots in the gravel?

Yes, I planted them in the gravel as if I was panting them in the dirt, made a little hole then pulled the gravel up around. Some plants anchor easier than others & depending on your fish you may have some come undone. My 2 Chinese Alagae Eaters are forever uprooting a plant or two, some I've just let float instead of replanting. I have one tank without enough substrate so the plants aren't very well anchored, will add more substrate to it probably this weekend. I have pics on my profile.

FishFanatic88 said:
you have some nice plants and fish thank you for the help!!!

Thank you, they're a work in progress. 6 months ago I had no aquariums, now I have 3. :) I'm still figuring out what I do & don't like, but I know for certain I like the more look although I had to throw in a few silk plants for height.

You both will probably need to fertilize eventually. Another suggestion, pay attention to what kind of plants you are getting, low light, moderate light etc and make sure you have adequate lighting. :)

brennae said:
You both will probably need to fertilize eventually. Another suggestion, pay attention to what kind of plants you are getting, low light, moderate light etc and make sure you have adequate lighting. :)

I started using API Leaf Zone a few weeks ago.

i havent started with plants yet. i still have alot of research to do. Thanks for all the help!!! one quick question. does anyone know of any loach-safe plants?

Back
Top Bottom