Losing crystal shrimp well after acclimation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquatopia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have lost 3 crystal shrimp in 3 weeks; what are the ideal water conditions I need? It's a 6gal Edge tank shared with 2 orange shrimp, 4 Endlers, an Oco and 4 Pigmy Cories. PH 7.6

Aquatopia said:
Have lost 3 crystal shrimp in 3 weeks; what are the ideal water conditions I need? It's a 6gal Edge tank shared with 2 orange shrimp, 4 Endlers, an Oco and 4 Pigmy Cories. PH 7.6

PH is high for Crystals. TDS is important also.

What are your tests showing ???
Ammonia ?
Nitrates ? Nitrites ?

Temperature ??? CRS like cool water. They are not as easy as RCS.

From Planet Inverts ;
The Crystal Red Shrimp prefers soft acidic water. Clean water is also a must as with all shrimp in the hobby. However, the Crystal Red Shrimp may be the most vulnerable shrimp when housed in dirty water. Water changes are a must for this species. Temperature should be lower than 80F and the pH should range from 6.2 to 6.8, gH should be between 4-6 and kH should be between 1-2. It is very important that the Crystal Red Shrimp be housed in specific conditions. Extremes in either water parameters mentioned should be avoided. It cannot be stressed enough how delicate this shrimp is. As you approach higher grades of this species, water parameters become even more important.
>>>>>>
You may try mixing conditioned Tap and Distilled
to lower PH and TDS.

Do you have plenty of live plants ??

Could you post a pic of your tank and one of your Shrimp ??

They are VERY sensitive to Nitrates. Over 20 kills them. Try to keep it under 5ppm. 10ppm at the most.

The main thing with Shrimp is clean water. Low Nitrates and stable water conditions.

With that stocking, I'd be surprised if the nitrates weren't killing them before the PH. I think they'd live at 7.0 ok. They might not breed tho.

Anyways, like Coursair said, we need to know more.

Coursair said:
PH is high for Crystals. TDS is important also.

What are your tests showing ???
Ammonia ?
Nitrates ? Nitrites ?

Temperature ??? CRS like cool water. They are not as easy as RCS.

From Planet Inverts ;
The Crystal Red Shrimp prefers soft acidic water. Clean water is also a must as with all shrimp in the hobby. However, the Crystal Red Shrimp may be the most vulnerable shrimp when housed in dirty water. Water changes are a must for this species. Temperature should be lower than 80F and the pH should range from 6.2 to 6.8, gH should be between 4-6 and kH should be between 1-2. It is very important that the Crystal Red Shrimp be housed in specific conditions. Extremes in either water parameters mentioned should be avoided. It cannot be stressed enough how delicate this shrimp is. As you approach higher grades of this species, water parameters become even more important.
>>>>>>
You may try mixing conditioned Tap and Distilled
to lower PH and TDS.

Do you have plenty of live plants ??

Could you post a pic of your tank and one of your Shrimp ??

The temp is 76f, nitrates below 5 (water change biweekly), nitrites and ammonia 0, the water here in Dunedin is hard but haven't tested for that. Don't know how to test for TDS. Only a moss ball for live plants. Will take pics today and lower the PH. Temp is hard to control on the old Edge tanks due to type of light, but it's off all weekend - this is one of my office tanks so no attention on weekends.

Aquatopia said:
The temp is 76f, nitrates below 5 (water change biweekly), nitrites and ammonia 0, the water here in Dunedin is hard but haven't tested for that. Don't know how to test for TDS. Only a moss ball for live plants. Will take pics today and lower the PH. Temp is hard to control on the old Edge tanks due to type of light, but it's off all weekend - this is one of my office tanks so no attention on weekends.

I think your temp is too high also.
Ideal Temp is 68 ?

http://www.alphaprobreeders.com/pages/Shrimp-Care.html

Google Crystal Red Shrimp Care.

No other plants ???
What are you feeding the Shrimp ??

Your water actually sounds ok. But stability is key with these guys. Temp swings, PH swings are bad.

Add more plants. Shrimp eat biofilm constantly.
Try adding a Indian Almond Leaf ( whole or pieces ).
GL.

I think your temp is too high also.
Ideal Temp is 68 ?

Shrimp Care

Google Crystal Red Shrimp Care.

No other plants ???
What are you feeding the Shrimp ??

Your water actually sounds ok. But stability is key with these guys. Temp swings, PH swings are bad.

Add more plants. Shrimp eat biofilm constantly.
Try adding a Indian Almond Leaf ( whole or pieces ).
GL.

I have some duck weed and a total of three moss balls in there. I feed the tank Spirulina 20 flakes and dried blood worms

Indian Almond Leaf?? where do I get that?

Attachments

• CIMG8788.JPG
    CIMG8788.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 69
  • 2012-05-16_10-56-44_743.jpg
    2012-05-16_10-56-44_743.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 68
Back
Top Bottom