Lost 4 new Corys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmazonMars

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Newbie mistake?

So to complete my community tank, I wanted to get some small Corydoras so I ordered 6 young Duplicate Corys by mail and they arrived about 16 hrs later. (They are really small at .75 inch each)
They all survived and seemed OK except for one that was lethargic. Realized the next day he had no barbels and still pretty lethargic and died the next day. Seems like he arrived without the barbels as I have them in a bare bottom tank so I contacted the company and they reimbursed me for that one.

I had them all in a 6 gallon quarantine tank with a good filter and heater (79F), not cycled or seeded and was willing to do daily water changes as necessary.

So I removed the dead one and whatever leftover poop and food and the water tested 0amm. I did a 20% water change later that day and tested it again later but ran out of drops but the results I did get seemed to be almost at 0.25. I added more Prime to make sure the amm was detoxified even though I already put more than enough in my water change but didn’t feel right leaving them with levels like that so I did another 50% water change since they really were not active all day like they were the day before. Within minutes of the 2nd wc one died and then another one so I quickly dumped the remaining three in my display tank. Found another one dead this morning so now I have 2 left ?

What did I do wrong? Too much big water changes? To much Prime? I floated them for 15-20, Poured in a little bit of the Quarantine tank water with some extra prime to detoxify the possible build up of ammonia in the bag .
I had conflicting information when it comes to delivery fish of CO2 being released when you open a bag that’s been closed for a long time followed by a spike in ammonia so some people say not to add water, just float and drop or if you add water to at least add Prime. As I was pouring a little water in the bag I just noticed the smell from the bag so I decided to just net them and pop them in the QT.
Was it due to how they were acclimated? Ammonia?Shock from large wc? Everyone was swimming around and schooling happily all day the first day. Please help!

I think putting them into an uncycled tank did it. Especially after they went through the mail.

I think putting them into an uncycled tank did it. Especially after they went through the mail.

They seemed so happy that first day. The LFS girl that help me set up my tank Insisted that I do it without seeding i(don’t already have a cycled extra tank) . I even told her that most people online say to at least seed your tank but she insisted to start with a clean fresh environment.
The big change shift was really when I did that big water change. Two died within minutes of that second water change.
And obviously in a cycled tank, I would not be doing any big water changes like that.
One of them got caught in my uptake of my filter after I put them in my main tank so I took the sponge from my quarantine tank and put it around my filter so it doesn’t happen again.
I will now have a sponge ready to seed next time I am going to have new fish. Will never do an uncycled QT tank again!

DUDe

You should have taken water form your display tank and put it in the quaritine tank!!! That's literally seeding and it's cycled now!

You should have taken water form your display tank and put it in the quaritine tank!!! That's literally seeding and it's cycled now!

I would’’ve had to used a piece of filter media to immediately cycle the tank. Adding display tank water does NOT cycle a tank.

Back
Top Bottom