Lost One :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viperboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well today I lost one of my cardinal tetras .... :( ..... so i decided to clean my tank up a bit and gravel vac and lifted up that one myan cave to see if that baby zebra was in there ..... no dice.

The baby must have died in there and got eaten by the pleco. I test my water before i did the PWC and the test results were perfect ... 0A 0Nitrite 15ishNitrate .... so that wasnt it. I thought maybe it is the zebras fault because they are so hyper and always pushing into em .. maybe this stressed it out?

All the other fish seem fine and after i did the PWC they seemed to love it and were lots more active. I just got my flourish and new light fixture in so im putting those up as we speak.

Also has anyone heard of gourami eating plants? ... i didnt think they did but my little guy seems to be nibbling on every plant i have and he killed one of my ones in the back i think ... and i decided to take out my java moss because i just dont like it and it catches so muc debri in it.

Well i guess ya learn through exp.... any ideas on the tetra?
TIA

Ray

He could have just been a delicate fish. It happens, not all the fish you will buy will be good. Gouramis will nibble at some plants.

I guess but i got them about a week ago and they have not been eating very much since i got them .... all my other fish seem to love food .... but them.

Ray

Viperboy said:
Also has anyone heard of gourami eating plants?
Yes, mine seem to like to eat guppy grass but they leave the java fern and moss alone.
What plants do you have?

Cardinal tetras in general are not known for being hardy fish, and are best added to a more mature tank, kind of like rams. So, given that your setup is sort of new, you should feel good that the others are still alive IMO. Sometimes these things just happen. Your tank should become more stable with time as long as you keep up on your pwc's, which with 15 ppm nitrate you are obviously doing.

BTW I didn't like my java moss either. It was a real PITA to get out of the tank, because if you leave any behind it will keep growing.

Ooops, double post. I'm at work using an internet connection that makes my dial up days look fast. :p Seriously.

Yea i guess it could have been one of many things ... my reading seem to be perfect and i am keeping up on my PWC so hopefully i dont lose anymore of my stock ... and im def gonna wait maybe a month or so before i add anything else i think ... im seriously debateing buying a 10gal and throwing this mean zebra i have in it with this little filter i have running on my 29. That way ill have another tank set up for when i wanna get new fish and he leaves all the other fish alone :) .... thanks guys

Ray

Back
Top Bottom