Lots o questions. Please advise!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I trust yall more than my LFS. I am upgrading to a 56 column. I need to get advise on quite a few things so here it goes.

Filter: I was thinking either a fluval c4 or an aqueon 55/75. The aqueon claims a higher gph but I want to be sure I get good biological filtration.

Waterflow: I dont want to have to get a powerhead (I dont like how the fish stick to the stream instead of swimming everywhere) but bubble wands dont seem to work with sand and if I have it out of the water my water clouds up.

Heater: I want a good reliable, safe heater. Suggestions?

Stocking: I was thinking 6-8 zebra danios, 3-4 black kuhli loaches, 6 cories, 4-5 ottos, 6-8 glowlight tetras, 1-2 Dwarf Crayfish, a peaceful betta, and ? I feel like I need another school or something.

Any other advice or suggestions would be appreciated. i cant afford a canister filter though...Just saying. Thanks!

Perosnally I prefer aquaclear hob filters. I have several spare 70's (300 gph) since I've upgraded tank sizes, they don't fit over the rim of a 75 or larger. One of those along with an air-driven sponge filter would be more than enough for your tank.
Heaters are a gamble regardless of which one you pick. I'd use Visi-therm because they have a lifetime guarantee. No heater is going to last forever, but at least I won't have to buy new ones when they do quit. I was using Stealth heaters, then they changed to the newer style that have an annoying tendency to explode, and recalled all of them, even the older models. I'm getting an electric heater for the whole basement this weekend, will only be using relatively small heaters in a couple tanks to raise the temps for breeding when necessary.

Perosnally I prefer aquaclear hob filters. I have several spare 70's (300 gph) since I've upgraded tank sizes, they don't fit over the rim of a 75 or larger. One of those along with an air-driven sponge filter would be more than enough for your tank.
Heaters are a gamble regardless of which one you pick. I'd use Visi-therm because they have a lifetime guarantee. No heater is going to last forever, but at least I won't have to buy new ones when they do quit. I was using Stealth heaters, then they changed to the newer style that have an annoying tendency to explode, and recalled all of them, even the older models. I'm getting an electric heater for the whole basement this weekend, will only be using relatively small heaters in a couple tanks to raise the temps for breeding when necessary.
What about the fluval E? And how many watts should I shoot for? Also (total noob question coming) Whats a sponge filter, what does it do, and would it move my water enough to oxygenate for my fish?

Never used a fluval E, heater size/watts depends on how much you need to raise the temp. That info is usually on the heater packaging.
Sponge filters are useful for biological and mechanical filtration, usually run with an air pump. Simply a sponge that collects debris as the water moves through it. Most folks with large numbers of tanks use sponge filters and a central air distribution setup, simply more cost-effective than putting a power filter on each tank. I use one in each of my tanks as a backup for the hob filters. Occasionally one of them won't restart after a power outage, and the sponge filter will keep the water circulating until I get around to tinkering with the filter to restart it.

Never used a fluval E, heater size/watts depends on how much you need to raise the temp. That info is usually on the heater packaging.
Sponge filters are useful for biological and mechanical filtration, usually run with an air pump. Simply a sponge that collects debris as the water moves through it. Most folks with large numbers of tanks use sponge filters and a central air distribution setup, simply more cost-effective than putting a power filter on each tank. I use one in each of my tanks as a backup for the hob filters. Occasionally one of them won't restart after a power outage, and the sponge filter will keep the water circulating until I get around to tinkering with the filter to restart it.
ok so I can run one with an air pump like what is used for a bubble wand? Can you tell me how to make one?

Back
Top Bottom