Lots of Brown Algae. I'd like to add some fish to help, but am I already stocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Can I add Ottos to this tank?

• No, of course not! Not a chance, you would be way overstocked.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mandy2936

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey :)

Well, I have a 20 gallon tank with...
•1 Dwarf Gourami
•5 male Guppies
•6 Neon Tetras
•4 Julii Cories

I have so much Brown Algae and I've tried numerous things to get rid of it. So, I am desperate because no matter what I do I can't keep it down to a minimum.

-I was thinking of possibly adding 3 Otocinclus catfish, but I'm not sure if I just don't have the room.
-So, then I thought of adding 2-3 Red Cherry Shrimp, but because of their size I was afraid the Guppies would try to eat them.
-SO, then I thought of Amano Shrimp, which would probably be a good choice, but uh... I just don't find them appealing looks-wise. I hope that doesn't sound awful, but I just don't think they look good.

Any advice or opinions on the matter?
I have plenty of swimming space in my tank, but I understand that the bioload is an important thing to keep in mind. Adding a second filter is not an option right now.

Thank you.

Is the brown "algae" have a sort of powdery consistency to it? Rubs off easily? Forms on the glass of the tank as well as the stuff inside?

If so, then what you have are diatoms (which are not technically an algae at all but close enough for all practical purposes). The good news about diatoms is that even if you do nothing, they will eventually go away on their own...relatively new tanks tend to have an outbreak right away but once the excess silica is consumed the diatoms naturally die out, never to return.

If you want to accelerate the process, the only thing I know of that will eat diatoms are ottos. (If RCS or amanos eat diatoms at all, they certainly don't to the degree you would need if your tank is covered in the stuff.)

Assuming your tank is fully cycled, you could easily add 3-4 ottos and they would add very little to the bioload. You'll be fine. When you go to the pet store, look for ottos that are clinging to the sides of the tank (rather than sitting on the substrate), and look for ones with nice full bellies. Those are the ones most likely to be healthy.

Thanks for the response! I don't believe that I have diatoms. I did a Google Images search and it doesn't look like diatoms to me. Also, it does not grow at all on my tank walls or substrate, just heavily on the decor and plants. I have both live and silk/plastic plants. It grows on all of that, except the tank walls and sand.

I would love to add the 3-4 Ottos... but I have also heard other opinions on how I wouldn't have much room for this. SO, just to be sure, does anyone else have an opinion on this? I just want to get a few more "yes's" before I go out and buy some.

Thanks again! +1.

EDIT: If you've noticed I've added a poll to this thread.

Thanks for the response! I don't believe that I have diatoms. I did a Google Images search and it doesn't look like diatoms to me.

Ahh, is it kind of fluffy then? Grows in tufts about, oh, a 1/2" tall and sticks really strongly to what it is attached to? Then you have BBA (Black Beard Algae, although the color can range from black to brown to green). Take a look here and here to see if this is what it looks like.

Nasty stuff. Unfortunately for you, ottos won't touch it. In fact, very few creatures will. Siamese Algae Eaters will, as will Florida Flag Fish and Amano Shrimp. Your best bet is to figure out what's causing it (nutrient imbalance in the tank) and address that. It can also be killed and then removed using spot treatments with hydrogen peroxide or Flourish Excel.

Oh noo... It's definitely not that. Haha nope it doesn't grow in tufts, it stays perfectly flat.
Someone told me something about a silica pad? I don't know much about that, though. I think I could get this algae under control if I get 3 Ottos, get a "silica pad" and keep the lights on less.
I will try to upload some pictures of my algae soon.

Oh noo... It's definitely not that. Haha nope it doesn't grow in tufts, it stays perfectly flat.
Someone told me something about a silica pad? I don't know much about that, though. I think I could get this algae under control if I get 3 Ottos, get a "silica pad" and keep the lights on less.
I will try to upload some pictures of my algae soon.

Okay well if its not diatoms and not BBA, then I have no clue what sort of black or brown colored algae you could have.

Unless maybe it comes in sheets? Really super slimy? Smells really...strong ("earthy" one might say) when you pull it out of the tank? That would be Blue-Green Algae (which again, isn't technically an algae).

Please post pictures! That's the only way we can get to the bottom of this.

Alright, I took some pictures. Keep in mind that my camera isn't the best quality, so sometimes the algae looks black or greenish but in the tank it all looks completely brown.
Also, for some reason the pictures don't show all the algae. I hope I don't sound crazy but in the tank the leaf is completely covered with algae but the picture shows less algae.

Anyways, here you go. Be sure to click through all of the slide. Thank you Taylor for recommending the site.
http://imgur.com/8ooXV&P7Nfk&s7jJZ&Tjhqr&4zxGg&UbcRS&uNZ0X&MEWT4&7AJjg&tUQlV&ggsJ8&5Jjzg&Q7eyk&nJdux

Also, I heard that Ottos eat green algae, brown algae, and diatoms. So, is that incorrect? Do they really only eat diatoms? It could possibly be what I have... but I'm not completely sure.. it just looks so flat to me.

Sorry Mandy, you linked to the files on your computer, so nobody can see them :(

Try imgur.com for picture hosting.

As far as otos go, they won't really clean the tank if the algae is not diatoms.

Once you post the pictures, we may be able to help you further.

Sorry about that guys!
I will edit my previous post. Just look above for the link to the pictures.
Thanks for your patience!

my buddy has that in his 28 BF, he leaves it but ive seen his RTS munching on it which leads me to believe SAE's will scarf on it, his rocks are stained from it and it actually gives it a neat natural pond bed look.
His does get natural sunlight though, does yours? maybe cut the lights for 3 days and try and kill it

is it brown but starts small and coats the gravel and decor?

can you get a pic of it?

Thanks for the reply. I have posted pictures... just click on the link on post #7.
It's not on the sand, but its a bit on the walls and alllll over the decor. What's RTS?
The tank doesn't get any natural sunlight, it only gets tank light (incandescent) and a few hours of room lighting. If i shut the tank lights and the room lights off they will be left in pitch blackness all day because it's in my basement..

It's usually silicates that cause diatoms. Low nitrates will allow BGA to grow, but not diatoms.

Is this a purely Freshwater tank? Or is it Brackish?

If it's pure Freshwater then I would suggest giving Nerite Snails a consideration. They're not nearly as much of a burden on a stocking level as an Oto might be, but the trade-off is that they might take a little while to clean up the stuff.

They also don't reproduce without some salt, so you could keep 5-6 of them and they'd scoot around cleaning up without turning into an army.

Thanks for the suggestion, Vicromore, I'll look into that. (Yes, it's purely Freshwater)

Someone on another site suggested for me to purchase a Silica Pad for my filter. What really is this? And where can I find one??? I didn't see anything of the sort at Petsmart.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom