Lots of Missing Scales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rokuzachi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have an Oranda, about 2", that has been teetering on the side of bloated for the last week or so. I didn't think much of it, and started feeding peas like usual which has always made things better in the past. A few days in, she became extremely bloated, and wasn't moving so I treated her with Maracyn 2. She got better though she was still having trouble with complete control over her swimming. Kept feeding peas & vegetables an she was active the night before last and patrolling the tank for food.

Today I come home from work, and she's wedged under a plant, missing 3/4 of the scales on her side. It looks... horrible. I see some of them scattered on the substrate. Her tankmates are 2 other fancies about 3", and two small bristlenoses.

I'm familiar with treating injured fish, unfortunately. I would just like to know if anyone has had success in bringing a fish back from such a horrendous injury. :(

Thanks.

Hi! Are the missing scales your biggest concern right now? Is she still bloated? Start by removing anything she may get stuck in, around, under, between, etc. then keep the water as healthy as possible over the next few weeks as she heals (extra water changes). Keep a close eye for any signs of infection or fungus. Fish heal from missing scales quite well on their own with no special care needed. The bloating is very concerning, however, if this is still an issue. It indicates a much more serious issue.

Back
Top Bottom