Lots of questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

manooosie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, since this site is my sole resource for aquarium info, I have a few more questions:

Ok, my Cascade 1000 filter has been running for a couple of weeks and I am nearing the end of my cyle. How do I clean it and how often? Do I rinse out the sponges and bio filter? I am not sure since I think that is where the bacteria reside...

I am getting the first sign of algae on my tank. Once again, this may be a good sign since I want bacteria to grow while I cycle my tank. I am not sure what to do with it. Should I scrape it off, wait for my fish (cichlids) to take care of it or just leave it alone (the algae is on the glass).

How do I clean the inside glass? Is there some sort of tool or trick to doing it?

I know cichlids need a high temperature, but I live in Las Vegas and our apartment is always on the hot side. The temperature is always around 81-84 degrees, is this too hot for cichlids (i have unplugged the heater)?

Ok, I think that is all the questions I have for now. By the way, I was offered a job at my lfs after talking with him about fish. Lets see, full-time at a lfs or law school... :p

Ok, my Cascade 1000 filter has been running for a couple of weeks and I am nearing the end of my cyle. How do I clean it and how often?
I would wait until you have fish in there before you clean the filter. What I do is rinse the media in a bucket of aquarium water that I set aside during a water change. I just swirl the sponges around in there and squeeze them a bit to get the guck out.

I am getting the first sign of algae on my tank
Is it green algae? Brown? I would just wipe it off. You can use an algae scraper thing you get from the lfs. a lot of people like the magfloat... http://www.aquacave.com/mag-float_cleaners.htm

Lets see, full-time at a lfs or law school
pt at the lfs and stay in school :D

The frequency of the cleaning of the filter will depend on your experience. For example, the Cascades on the 150 needs the filter floss replaced at every water change. But the one on the 55 only needs it once a month. All I do is replace the filter floss, set the ceramic rings to the side, rinse the filter out, and clean out the hoses. Don't clean the rings. Rinse the sponges in old tank water, never in tap.

Scrape the algae off. Do you know what kind it is? Is it brown? Green?

I clean the glass with an algae scraper. For diatoms I just use a algae sponge. But for the green spotted algae, I use a scraper. It takes some elbow grease, but it works.

The temp in my African tank generally runs about 81 degrees. IMO it's not too hot. But the temp of 84 is really get up there.

HTH.

manooosie said:
How do I clean the inside glass? Is there some sort of tool or trick to doing it?

I know cichlids need a high temperature

-i use a credit card (expired). works smoothly.

-ARLC have no preset temperature requirements. for adult tanks, its recommended that the temps be kept down (around 76C) to lower metabolism rates and hence, control aggression. but you can push it to 80C. i'd suggest using the heater as it tends to stabilize the temperature. for some reason if the room does cool down, its going to drag the water temp down (albeit slowly).

You're not going to notice a slow down on the filter with a canister unless you lower the water level. At every water change for the first few months open up the canister. When it gets gunky, do maintenance. Keep track of when you do the maintenance. Then you can base the remaining filter maintenance around it.

Back
Top Bottom