Low ph- how to raise to cycle can take place.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bfred13

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently (3 days ago) got a used 50g tank. It was cleaned and set up with most of the water from my old tank and some new since the new tank is bigger. The ph was great the first night it was set up. Since it has dropped to 6.0 and I've done 2 partial water changes. How do I raise the ph and keep it consistent so the tank can actually cycle? I do have fish in the tank from my old tank. Tetras and plecos. IMG_0750.jpg

The ph of my water from my sink is 7.6.

Mine as well.

If you're getting 6.0 from the sink, then wow. There has to be an underlying problem. Things that come to mind that lower pH are PWC, co2, aeration, and driftwood. Also, if you use a different water source that can change the pH. Too many things can change pH levels. Might have to back track and retrace your steps from when you setup it, to see if you altered anything.

I think Tetras prefer softer water but can adapt to higher pH's but I'm pretty sure Plecos prefer soft water and can live longer lives in softer water. I would be careful to alter it too much or you could kill your plecos.

It's 7.6 coming from my sink. My tank is 6.0. There not driftwood and lots of aeration. I just added some crushed coral hidden in the tank as it would not fit in my filter.

Take some tap water, let it sit overnight and measure the pH again. If it stays at or near 7.6, then something in the tank is causing a drop in pH.
What did you use to clean the tank? Vinegar? If not rinsed properly, residual vinegar can lower the pH.

It didn't change much at all. But I did go get some crushed coral. It wouldn't fit in my filter so I just mixed it with my current substrate and bam. Ph problem fixed!!

It didn't change much at all. But I did go get some crushed coral. It wouldn't fit in my filter so I just mixed it with my current substrate and bam. Ph problem fixed!!
Bam problem not fixed, problem masked...
You still have no idea why your pH shifted so much if it did not off gas in the 24 hour test fresh suggested...
You may have achieved the desired level but for how long?If it bounces around you could be doing more harm then good till properly diagnosed and corrected?
I was going to suggest the crushed coral after the test said it was just your water off gassing, but now? Maybe you know why your pH was so low but I don't...
It takes some pretty strong chemicals to alter water parameters....
Don't get me wrong I make water as I please owning a 150GPD ro/di unit ,but it is often best to understand as much as possible before making corrections...

You should toss some of your cycled media from old tank in the new to help seed it,Plecos are a rough choice to cycle fish in with!
How water do you change when you say partial water change?
Do you own a test kit as these are a MUST have for fish in cycles..
If yes use it now....

This is my second tank. My other one had the low ph forever too. I cycled my other one with the same fish I have now. I do have the liquid test kit and the only reading I have is ammonia at .25. I do 25%-30% changes.

I only ever add prime to my tank and occasionally stress coat. Idk what could be driving the ph down. I have silk plants and all decorations that are intended for a tank with lots of aeration. Do you have any ideas?

You are already running air stones it looks like from the pictures correct?
Your ammonia sounds right and hopefully only a "mini cycle" ?
Only thing I see out of place may be the little statues?Could they be doing something?
If they are plastic/resin chances are they are not it?

If you have glass lids try to crack them open a little so the tank can get better circulation of out side air...CO2 build up could cause low pH but IMO that is reaching..
Getting more air to the tank will put that to rest.

Lots of air stones. Statues are purchased for fish tanks. It's not a glass lid.

Back
Top Bottom