Low PH Problems - HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlea8

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As far as I know my PH has always been low. I have had my tank for about 2-3 months and I used to test with the test kit and got readings at the highest of 8.0. I now purchased a Pinpoint PH monitor and my PH wont rise above 8.0 unless I add in the marine buffer other than that it hovers around 7.8 and sometimes at night or very early in the day it even lowers to 7.6. Please help me, I read several articles but am losing hope.

8 isn't bad, when it comes to pH, stable is better than the "perfect number".
One other thing, pH will drop after lights out and rise after lights on, so measure it around the same time every day.

well I have the monitor so I just check it randomly...I get worried cause it drops to 7.6 sometimes and will only raise if I add the buffer. It rarely goes to 8.0 and I think the only reason it does it because I add the buffer. I was thinking of adding an air stone connected to a pump to aerate the water and increase PH..would that help or no?

You can easily increase the pH by adding more surface ripple. Remember, the O2 exchange happens at the surface of the water in SW tanks. I used to worry about my pH and got tired of trying to use the buffer. I simply adjusted the ph to point more to the top and still have the buffer sitting in my cabinet for the last 3 years....

That's why I'm confused...my koralia 3 is pointing right towards the surface and my PH still remains low..

Is your tank open or closed ?
If it is closed try opening itand adding a fan open your doors and windows to see if that helps ..
In the 10 we also had issues till I placed an egg crate top as well as a fan ..I then opened the windows and our PH went to 8.3 and stayed there with the lights on it drops to 8.0 when lights are out and occasionally if I can not get the windows open .. A HOB filter may also help as it will churn the top surface water ;)

It's not a good idea to use buffers to raise your pH. They will only raise it temporarily and it will also raise alk...so if you are using a buffer, make sure you are also testing alk.

Low pH: Causes and Cures

ya my lid is off...im wondering if using an airstone to aerate the water would help?

It wouldnt hurt but you will have massive salt creep from it and spray ...:D

on the part about your pH always being low, what kind of lights do you have in your house? I was having issues reading my test for the 3 between 7.8 & 8.3,as the colors are kinda the same, then I remembered that my energy saving lights put off a yellow cast so I went to the laundry room where I have a regular bulb & waaala I was stressing over nothing couldn't see the color right under the other lights.

well i have a PH monitor now I don't test with a test kit

what do you mean?

You will have some small "bubbles" that will be water causing a "spray" kind of like at the beach were you feel the "spray" of the ocean ... this will cause salt creep ..Salt creep is where the salt residue is left where the water evaporated ....to understand this a bit better take a bit of salt water and flick it to a safe surface such as a cup or glass , after while the water will be gone and you will see "salt" left behind ...

Back
Top Bottom