low tech planted 55 gallon advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, I am looking to plant up a 55 gallon tank with low tech plants that need very little co2 or high lighting levels as its my first planted tank and want to start out nice and easy. My question is will I need a soil layer then covered with a layer of gravel or can I leave out the soil and just put down a 2" layer of fine gravel for the plants to root into (this is what I am hoping to do)? Also is a circulation pump a good idea?
Some of the plants I was going to use were: bacopa, amazon sword, ludwigia, java fern and anubias. Thanks.

I'd avoid the soil personally. With low tech, it's not really needed. Plus, if it is disturbed, it'll create a mess. As long as you are supplying heavy root feeders with the necessary nutrients via root tabs, you should be good. On the other hand, many members have used soil successfully, so in the end, it's up to you.

You'll want at least 5-6x flow for your setup if you are not getting pressurized CO2. The golden 10x flow rule is something to go by, but if this tank has low nutrients and low CO2, a ton of flow really isn't necessary as long as you are carrying out water changes in an orderly fashion. Depending on your current filtration, a circulation pump would be helpful if there is a big dead spot.

I'd avoid the soil personally. With low tech, it's not really needed. Plus, if it is disturbed, it'll create a mess. As long as you are supplying heavy root feeders with the necessary nutrients via root tabs, you should be good. On the other hand, many members have used soil successfully, so in the end, it's up to you.

You'll want at least 5-6x flow for your setup if you are not getting pressurized CO2. The golden 10x flow rule is something to go by, but if this tank has low nutrients and low CO2, a ton of flow really isn't necessary as long as you are carrying out water changes in an orderly fashion. Depending on your current filtration, a circulation pump would be helpful if there is a big dead spot.

Thanks fishenthusiast great answers. My tanks filtration is an external filter 1100lph I will probably add the circulation pump 5-6x flow as you suggested.

Thanks everyone for all the advice on the substrate etc this is how my tank has turned out.

Attachments

• IMG_0135.jpg
    IMG_0135.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 57
Back
Top Bottom