Lowering KH (hardness)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sstanle4

Aquarium Advice Freak
How do you lower your hardness? In our tank it is about 23..... we use the API reef test kit. Also is hardness the same thing as alkalinity?

If that's 23ppm, it's almost impossible for alk to be that low in a saltwater system. Carbonate hardness is the same as alkalinity.

Try a different test kit first of all, but you can lower alk by adding calcium.
What salt mix are you using?

Why should we use a different kit? Also we are using the reef salt mix (the orange bag) and what is a good source of calcium?

I'm assuming you are talking about Reef Crystals (that's the only salt I know of that comes in an orange bag) and if so your alk test kit is defintely wrong. Using Reef Crystals you should see your alk around 13 dKH or 232 ppm.
Try a different test kit first of all, but you can lower alk by adding calcium.
What salt mix are you using?
While that's true under certain extreme circumstances, if your calcium and alk levels are in a normal range, dosing calcium will not drop alk. If that was the case all the time, we would be fighting a never ending battle. Dosing calcium will drop your alk if both levels (calcium and alkalinity) are at or above supersaturation levels and the pH is at the right level to cause a precipitation event which forces the carbonates out of the water and lowering the alk levels. The precipitation would be clearly visible in the form of a snow storm in your tank or a calcium crust build-up on your heater or pump impellors.
Calcium and Alkalinity by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

The thing is we did use buffer I dont remember what it is called but it rasied the hardness to raise the ph

Back
Top Bottom