Lowering pH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freakgecko91

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, my tank is finally cycled, my fish are all happy and healthy, but my pH is sitting at 8.2, and even though I add pH neutralizer (seachem brand), it will not get below a 7.6 :mad: Does anyone have any good tips or tricks for lowering ideally to 6.5 to 7.0? My tap water is a 7.2. I have a very large piece of driftwood in my tank that was used by the pet store I bought it from for over a year, but was out of the tank for some time. Could the driftwood be screwing up the pH balance? It still leaches tannins, but my water is quite clear now. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks! Kyle

It is important that your pH remains stable, and doesn't fluctuate, so DON'T add any chemicals to the water. Bogwood works, as does peat filtration, peat balls etc. If your fish appear healthy I wouldn't worry too much. It depends on what you are wanting to keep. What do you have/plan to keep?

It is important that your pH remains stable, and doesn't fluctuate, so DON'T add any chemicals to the water. Bogwood works, as does peat filtration, peat balls etc. If your fish appear healthy I wouldn't worry too much. It depends on what you are wanting to keep. What do you have/plan to keep?
+1. NEVER use chemicals to mess with the pH. Fluctuations are common while using that and that will kill your fish. I, too, ask, what fish are you wanting to keep?

My water has always been 8.0 and my family have kept numerous types of fish in this water. pH isn't really a problem, unless you are wanting to breed something or have an exotic fish that requires a low pH. What's important is that the pH MUST, I repeat, MUST remain stable. I say that is the Golden Rule of Aquariums. (Others may disagree, but it's always been true for me!)

Basically, I have south American tetras, a Bolivian ram, panda Cory cats, and although it breaks the bio tope, a baby Senegal bichir. If you want a complete list, I can type it out. I want to take more of my tetras out to make room for more cichlids though, namely keyhole and German blue rams. My ammonia and nitrite are now 0 and my nitrate is at 5-10 ppm :) I'm mad at my fish right now though bc they blew through 30 ghost shrimp in about 3 days :/ so much for a clean up crew, I guess my corys and zebra nerites will have to do hahaha

+1. NEVER use chemicals to mess with the pH. Fluctuations are common while using that and that will kill your fish. I, too, ask, what fish are you wanting to keep?

My water has always been 8.0 and my family have kept numerous types of fish in this water. pH isn't really a problem, unless you are wanting to breed something or have an exotic fish that requires a low pH. What's important is that the pH MUST, I repeat, MUST remain stable. I say that is the Golden Rule of Aquariums. (Others may disagree, but it's always been true for me!)

Water is a chemical, just sayin.

And tell all the people who use co2 about your golden rule. :whistle:

i was going to say almost the same thing, fish can adapt to pH, and its better to keep it stable.

even if the pH is 8.3 - 8.6? I work at the water plant and our pH will flucuate depending on which wells we run.
thats high, for how long its been like that? if its been like that for a while and you had no death's without reason i would keep it the way it is.

Back
Top Bottom