LPS Lighting Needs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mitchell0605

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey Guys,
I've been looking at a getting a small Bubble Coral for my tank and have been checking out the info on it. Apparently it doesn't need much light but what about other LPS corals? I have three tracyphyllias already that are happy all day and extending at night so long as they get fed every second-third night. Are all LPS corals the same? Less dependant on light and more dependant on food? The opposite of the SPS corals?

Dont forget VHO lighting. I have a tank full of LPS corals under 4 160 watt VHO bulbs. Here is my 11 yr old bubble. He was like a bubble coral for yrs but the last few he has morphed into this.

11yrs ago
fish_005.jpg

Now
019.jpg

I guess I should have said that there are low-light and high-light LPS, just like there are low-light and high-light SPS - and supplemental feedings don't really replace that.

Dont mean to hijack your thread, but I also have a question about these.
I have read that besides lighting and certain trace elements in your water(calcium, Strontium) they also need to be fed brine shrimp once a week. So how do I feed my fish without feeding the coral?

It's ok and only certain corals NEED to be fed. They are LPS corals. So things like:
Trachyphyllia
Sun Corals
Duncans
Acans
Bubble Corals
Cataphyllias
etc.
Usually these corals will extend feeder tentacles at night. Thats when I feed my 3 Trachyphyllias. The fish don't nab the food cause they're asleep. :)

I feed mine a small piece of frozen brine. And I keep it in the freezer. You have you place it so it touches the extend tentacles. It grips it then and pulls it in.

So you have to put your arm in the tank everytime you feed it? Could I just make it so the current will send food in its direction?

My canopy doesnt make it convenient. I will have to make some adjustments before set up.

It's ok and only certain corals NEED to be fed. They are LPS corals....

Uhhhh.... no.

The only corals that NEED to be fed are ones lacking zooxanthellae - which are the photosynthetic algae that live in the coral. Sun Corals are one type of corals like this. While LPS corals (just like SPS corals) are carnivores, they will get quite a bit of their "meat" from the water column without spot feeding. Granted... they will appreciate spot feeding now and then, but depending on your tank and your feeding habits for your fish, you may NEVER need to target feed them. I believe Melosu's tank is a testament to that.

Brine shrimp are not the most nutritious things for your fish, and for that reason I'm guessing they're not the best for corals either. Mysis shrimp would be a better option. Spot feeding LPS corals finely chopped clams, silversides, or other meaty foods when their feeding tentacles are out would be even better.

Easiest way to spot feed coral is using a long feeding tube like this:

Nautilus SeaSquirt, Feeders | Pet Solutions

After the lights are out, and the coral's feeding tentacles are exposed, turn off all the pumps and powerheads and just "baste" a little mysis over the coral. After a couple minutes and the corals have their food tucked safely away, turn back on all the pumps. If you have a cleaner shrimp, you may have to stand guard to shoo it away from stealing the food until the corals have it firmly in their grasp!

LPS corals, as a group, do like to be fed, but it is NOT a requirement.

Regarding Bubble Coral lighting - they really don't care. I've read they're normally found in fairly dim areas of reefs, but they seem to do just fine in our tanks under most types of lighting - except strong MH lighting. I've had them at the bottom and near the top of the tank under PCs, and they didn't seem to care. Only thing they might do is change color on you, as they adapt to the new lighting. But that's true for any coral.

I have never target fed my LPS corals. They get all they need from the lighting and water column. If you do feed brine make sure it is vitamin fortified brine. Just regular brine has no nutritional value as Kurt eluded to.

Back
Top Bottom