LR die-off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So i got 60 lbs of LR coming to me next week and I am under the gun to get a vessel of some sort all ready to receive the LR. I'm feelin' the pressure, cause I am workin' alot nextt week then leave for a week out of town for work. My plan is to get either a tub or a friends empty tank to put in the garage to cure it. My debate is whether or not to just put it into the main tank in the living room which isn't established yet, or just do as i mentioned with tubs in the garage. I worry that my wife will have my head if the smell is STRONG in the living room for the next few weeks if i decide to put it straight in and cycle the tank with it. Believe you me.... she'll have strong words for the strong smell if it reaks!! I'm scared of her! :?

My LFS is not so local either (a 2 hr drive then a 2 hr ferry ride separates us) but they are on the ball with regards to shipping, so it will be here asap once it arrives at the store. With a dip into a tank between hopefully. So I have no idea how much die-off to expect so I am stuck with the formentioned dilemma. What would you pro's do? All suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Ryan

Just get one of those 30 gallon storage bins, a heater and a powerhead or pump. Smell it when it arrives. If it's really bad cure it in your garage. If not, I'd go ahead and put it in your tank since there's nothing in it...

ryguy said:
I'm scared of her! :?

ummm, I can't help you here, you're going to have to work through that... :wink:

I won the battle to allow me full occupancy of the garage. She wanted to park the car inside but that left me no room to play.... needed room for all my saws and hobby stuff. That space is mine, but go into the living and cause havoc, then I'm in trouble.

Good idea though about smelling it. I'll have the main tank and a tub ready and decide after a old fashioned sniff test. Then if I'm brave and go for the living room, all have a tub of freshly made SW ready to go.

Cheers,
Ryan

You should not have much die off and should be able to place it directly into the main tank.
a 4 our drive with LR will be fine if properly pack in wet newspaper or something similar.

Though the sniff test will prevent and you from making the couch a home for a few night :)

Good luck and keep us posted.

My LR took 3 days to arrive when i i placed an order. When it arrived it did have a bad smell but not to bad so i lightly scrubbed it off in a bucket of SW and then placed it in my main tank. For a week or so it had a slight smell but only if u went up to the tank. Now it smells clean :):) It works well to cycle your main tank also :):)

Back
Top Bottom