Lumens and candy cane coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatyKat

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just wondering if 400 lumens is enough too little or too much for candy cane coral? i have a set sitting on my sandbed, that is doing well and im nervous about moving it up.

If the candy cane is inflated and fluffy, the light is good. If its only partially inflated and maybe some feeder tentacles are extended the light is not enough.
I would think 400 lum should be enough, so if the coral doesn't like it it may be a spectrum issue.

You aren't going to be able to tell at all by measuring lumens. Photosynthetically active radiation is what needs to be measured.
What fixture are you using and how far from it is the coral?

Except that PAR and lumen are related, even directly, if the measurement was taken with a PAR meter, which I think(or assumed) it was. So whether it was a number of photons per second smacking into a square meter of area, or the intensity of PAR specific light covering the same area, is just going to confuse the issue.
If 400 lux is being received by the coral, it should be adequate for that coral, but it might not be quite enuff. If its partially inflated, it needs more light.

I disagree. A light source can be bright, but have very little in the way of PAR. If 400 lux is equal to 400 par, KatyKat would be frying that candycane to death.
Also, if a coral didn't have enough light, it would inflate more to create more surface area to catch available light, not shrink.

I disagree. A light source can be bright, but have very little in the way of PAR. If 400 lux is equal to 400 par, KatyKat would be frying that candycane to death.
Also, if a coral didn't have enough light, it would inflate more to create more surface area to catch available light, not shrink.

I think you may be disagreeing with symantics. You are absolutely correct in that a light can be bright and have little PAR value. I never said different. As well, the measurement she gave was likely 400 PAR (micromoles per second Sq per meter). this would give a value around 20,000+ lux if my memory serves me correctly. So the 400 lux was probably measured with a PAR meter, which is to say, it is a measurement of the light intensity specifically that in the PAR range of light, or 400-700nm.

Really, there are only 2 likely ways the 400 value was obtained;
1. An aquarium light meter on the sand bed which measured 400PAR, which although in the lower end of moderate lighting may be enough, or
2. A value of the light source (some cheaper lights do use that number).

So in each case there would be the following result;
1. 400 PAR at the sand bed is in the range that MAY support the coral, but is definately not enough to "fry that candycane", or
2. a 400 lumen light which is around a 4 watt LED CREE bulb, insufficient for anything (so it is probably not this number).

As for both my trumpet corals, they inflate fully and fluffily (a new word) when the lights are good while feeder tenticles come out or there is less inflation at dawn/dusk lighting or when I am fiddling with the lights.

I will tell you from experience that if you put any LPS under 400 PAR (measured with a PAR meter, and not a LUX meter) for an extended period of time without a tremendous acclimation, it will definitely wither away.
400 PAR is plenty for acropora, and will bleach acropora without proper acclimation.

Here's a photo from a presentation at MACNA a few years back-
img_2665066_0_aa3bcea929738920863b54268e2d10d0.jpg

Last edited:
Fluval Eco Bright LED Aquarium Strip Light - LED Aquarium Light Strip from petco.com

this is the closest thing i could find to what i bought. i believe it was by fluval and it does have daytime and nighttime settings, I'm afraid i cant tell you much more about the lighting other than it is LED and it said 400 lumens on the box(whatever that means). as far as i can tell the coral seems to be doing well, it is nice and puffy, the same as when i bought it and i do see its tentacles often, as of now i have the coral on the bottom of my tank in the sand bed, as reccomended by my lfs, and im considering moving it up. ill attatch a photo so you can give me your opinion on its health, if you would :)

Attachments

• 993041_369029543228772_1897713457_n.jpg
    993041_369029543228772_1897713457_n.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 96
Tentacles are out so it can catch food. It looks pretty good to me, though I wouldn't have it dug into the sand bed like that. I would probably glue it to the rock. somewhere.

moved the coral up yesterday, and i have to say that it looks bigger and healthier today than i have ever seen it!

Back
Top Bottom