Lunatic Tang?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phyl

Aquarium Advice Addict
My tang appears to be attacking his reflection in a rather territorial battle. He's been doing it ever since I cleaned the glass (and it wasn't even really that dirty). Is he going to fight this new fish to the death or will he eventually calm down?! Oddly enough it is only one side of the glass that he's attacking, but man he wants that fish out of there! Anything I can do to end the battle before it leads to his demise?

ROFLMAO!! You could try putting a piece of background on that side to reduce his reflection unless you don't mind the entertainment...LOL. I don't know if that would eventually stress the fish after awhile if he doesn't choose to ignore the "other" tang.

His nori clip was over there so I moved it to the other side of the tank and I also put a blanket over that side of the tank that he's fighting with. It looks really stressful, so it doesn't look as funny as it sounds! Hopefully the this will calm him down some. Keep the ideas coming!

I have had several fish that showed a response to their reflection, never this bad but I have seen it. They eventually got used to it and settled down. I don't think tangs are the brightest light on the tree. 8)
I also put a blanket over that side of the tank that he's fighting with.
That's a good idea, should help.

Mine did this when he was relatively new to the tank. Have not seen it in a long time though. He should get over it.

My powder blue has been attacking my algea scraper with some force lately. I am worried, because I added a coral beauty six months ago and he harassed it so much. The little guy didn't make it. I want to add one more fish, but I don't know if he will allow it. He seems VERY territorial.

My yellow Tang did the same sort of thing, however not as violent as you describe, when he was alone in the tank ( he was my second fish, first one died R.I.P Nemo)
He mellowed out after about two weeks, then when I added a Coral Beauty, the tang chased it all over the tank non stop for another week. Now the two of them are real pals and the tang does not bother anyone since. I think some fish are just nuts 8)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom