Lyretail molly vs regular tail molly - tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 gallon high tank. My daughter loves the lyretail mollys and I do, too. Is a 20 okay for a lyretail? If not, is it enough for the regular tailed kind?

I have lots of filtration so it is a matter of swimming room.

Mollies

Hello,

I am no expert but I did recently purchase regular mollies for my aquarium and I remember all the things they told me about them.

I have a ten gallon tank and I was informed that I could have up to seven regular mollies in it at max, they also told me that Lyretail mollies grow much bigger (up to 4 1/2 inches).

You could most definitely purchase regular mollies and be fine, but I think you would need a bigger tank for the Lyretail which need more space. Also you would have to buy several Lyretails because they do better in groups, so I don't think you would have the room in the twenty gallon tank for several Lyretail.

I really love the regular mollies I have and there are some with fancy tails that look similar to the Lyretail just smaller. I hope this helps you decide on what to buy :)

Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom