Magic Number 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

absolutangel04

Daphnia are People Too.
I got 3 rummy nose tetras about a month or so ago. That was all the store had. 2 got along, but didn't like to hang out with the third all the time. Then my lfs got more in so I added 3 more a week or so later. 6 made a perfect school. They schooled tightly and verybody got along. A couple days ago, one died mysteriously (my params are fine, so I am guessing I bought him unhealthy or something). Now, they shunned one of the group again. I am getting another asap. But, from this experience I learned the value of schools of 6. Before, I sort of figured 5 was just as good as 6, but I have changed my mind now! Just sharing what I learned. I know many of you already knew this and I have heard it many times, but this was the first time I saw in practice that having proper schools really can affect behavior!:)

Interesting to read this. I was about to post a similar thing. We have 4 guppies, 3 are always together but 1 is always left out.
Should we get a couple more then?

Great thread.
i've always wondered this myself.
It's one of the reasons I try to keep around 8-9 in a school - in case a fish is rejected or dies.

But from experience, 4 is the minimum for a school.
So as long as you keep 4 or more, it should be ok.

Great thread.
i've always wondered this myself.
It's one of the reasons I try to keep around 8-9 in a school - in case a fish is rejected or dies.

But from experience, 4 is the minimum for a school.
So as long as you keep 4 or more, it should be ok.
I agree that 4 is the minimum, but I think it depends on the species for if 4 or 6 should be the minimum. My corys do fine in a school of 4, but some of the tighter schoolers seem to need 6. My embers did fine when there were only 3 and now when I only have 2 (I have more on the way). But, the 5 rummies are not a sufficient school. I have heard that about tigers barbs and serpae tetras too, that 4 of them isn't a sufficient school. But, I have enver owned those species.

It also depends on the individual temperament of the fish. My danios were happy in a group of four, but they are even happier with seven.

So, I got a sixth rummy again today, and now they are back in a perfect little school. The odd-fish-out form before is with them again!

Back
Top Bottom