Magnets and Black Ghost Knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HannahJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, so lately I've been toying with the idea of making a little magnetic DIY container to hold all of my BGK's bloodworms close to the bottom of the tank, since I think he prefers eating there instead of at the surface, where the worms inevitably end up. However, while I was messing around with the idea, I remembered that BGK's are electric fish. Would the magnets mess with his electrical field at all? It seems like it wouldn't, but what if the BGK's field is more like an electromagnetic field than a purely electric one? And what about the electric equipment in and near the tank (heater/filter)? Could that be messing with the BGK's field?

My google-fu has failed me in trying to find an answer to this. Maybe someone here knows? I know this is a little obscure of a question, but it's been nagging me. What if this whole time the electromagnet in my filter has been driving my BGK nuts?

Thanks in advance for any attempts to clear this up!

Because magnets don't make you get your arm wet to your shoulder, and don't come unstuck. Also, the idea I had just works better with a magnet.

I have a magfloat magnet stuck on my tank for cleaning, my BGK doesnt seem to concerned about it

I didn'y know black ghost knife hada magnetic field, lol it'd be funny to see a BGK swiiming around with a bunch of spoons stuck on it lol

They don't have a magnetic field.

The Black Ghost Knife is a large fish that has the ability to release a slight electrical current that it uses to navigate. It's eyesight is almost nonexistent, so it relies on it's electric navigation. This "electricity" is barely detectable
This from aquariacentral

They use electric impulses to navagate and detect food. But not sure if magnets will interfere with it. For my fire eels, I have a 1 1/4 tube which I pour the bloodworms down so they can feed from the bottom. My reason for doing it is so the current from the filters doesn't scatter the bloodworms throughout the tank. It's just a clear plastic tube I got from the lfs that I cut to the proper length for feeding purposes.

considering a BGK is like what a $25 fish, i wouldnt bother risking screwing up their electric feild, especially if BGK are like computer, and we all know what happens when you stick a magnet on your computer tower.

hey, alot of people like to hand feed their BGK, and BKGs can be hand tame, so why not take advantage

i almost bought a BKG today at petsmart this afternoon...

Back
Top Bottom