Mail order inverts - OK in the cold

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
I emailed Drs' Foster and Smith concerned that I should wait until its warmer to order snails and hermits, and maybe a starfish (brittle). Here's what they told me...

Dear Ray,
Thank you for your inquiry to Drs. Foster and Smith. There is no need to worry about ordering any time of the year. We are successful shipping our live stock all year long, as we watch the temperatures in the different parts of the country and add appropriate number of heat packs. The heat added is to avoid a fast drop in temperature. Meanwhile the shipping water will arrive cool thus holding more oxygen for the specimens. We hope you find this information helpful.

Anybody have any reason for me to doubt them??

I dont have any reason to doubt them. They are usually pretty good. Let us know how it went.

I've only had one issue with them regarding heat packs, but all other times their service/packaging is top notch. My one issue was that we had a cold front come through our area and they didn't include a heat pack. If it was an unexpected front, I'd understand... but it was well known in advance. Not sure why they chose not to include one. Luckily, the piece pulled through but it was touch and go for a while. To their credit, they extended the "arrive alive" warranty for me when I called to complain.

Even with that experience, I wouldn't hesitate to order again during cold weather. Well... as long as it's not some super sub-zero temps we're talking about.

No reason here either. They ship with hot or cold packs depending on the weather, and seems to work. Course, I'm in TX, lol, so big difference.

Back
Top Bottom