Dying plants and fish in cycled tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Algae Fix is a poison and is hard on fish and plants. I would do an additional pwc soon to get that stuff out as much as possible.

Edit: It is used for algae killing but it is often reported by users as being used at a time when fish become sick and plants become sick. What I mean is that it is supposed to be safe for use, but it does seem to effect fish and even plants in a stressed system often.

Reading the safety data sheet discusses how it can irritate skin, and eyes with prolonged contact.

When things like this are used it can tilt a precarious tank situation over the edge.

As it seems you have additional problems with the fish.

The previous fish you added could have brought in Columnaris infection?

Last edited:
Algae Fix is a poison and is hard on fish and plants. I would do an additional pwc soon to get that stuff out as much as possible.

Edit: It is used for algae killing but it is often reported by users as being used at a time when fish become sick and plants become sick. What I mean is that it is supposed to be safe for use, but it does seem to effect fish and even plants in a stressed system often.

Reading the safety data sheet discusses how it can irritate skin, and eyes with prolonged contact.

When things like this are used it can tilt a precarious tank situation over the edge.

As it seems you have additional problems with the fish.

The previous fish you added could have brought in Columnaris infection?

I assumed the same about the Algae Fix, I'm wondering the effect that plus the Hydrogen peroxide had on the tank?
I dosed as the directions said and that's when the plants seemed to be better as all the algae was dying off, however I think the damage was done as some of the plants only have top leaves now.

I completely stopped using the algae fix and the last time I did use it I did a huge water change (60%+).

I also have been using Melafix, as I've inspected those fish and it doesn't look like cotton. It's white but It may be a bacterial issue.
I also think one of the Bloodfin's brought the sickness into the tank initially.

I'm still struggling to understand why I continue to have Algae issues despite;
- regular weekly cleanings and at least 20-30% water changes. I also scrub the tank of all algae I can find
- I cut back on feeding, as I think I was overfeeding due to all the babies
- I'm running CO2 which brings the pH down to almost 6.5.
- I'm only running the lights about 7-8 hours a day and The tank sits in a corner near a window however the window blind completely blocks the light.
- I dose with Seachem Flourish Excel daily
- Using Root tabs (maybe too many?)

I'm considering ditching the lights, as they seem to have exacerbated the Algae issue. Also maybe the low-light plants aren't happy with all the medium-high light (6500K/45w)
Another though, are the plants getting enough nutrients? or not enough?
I was running the standard HOB filters with Carbon, which I just replaced with quilt batting.

Currently only found one dead baby Molly, all other fish seem to be active and healthy except the two Bloodfins (however they are eating fine and schooling)

Learning and struggling, but making progress.

Thanks for any and all help!

Back
Top Bottom