major condensation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samvandersteen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My aquarium is experiencing a lot of condensation - just this week the tank has lost 6 litres (nearly 2 gallons) of water. Is that about normal? Or is it a lot?

Is it necessary to replace the water right now, or should I wait for my next water replacement (which is only in 3 weeks time)​

Evaporation.. your tank is experiencing evaporation.

Yes you should top off your tank. As the water evaporates the specific gravity rises. Always top off with freshwater (non saltwater) and water change with saltwater.

The water evaporates but the salt does not, therefor your salt concentration increases (eg specific gravity rises).

EDIT: You posted in the saltwater section but in your 'my tanks' you seem to have a freshwater tank. If it's freshwater, same answer.. top off with freshwater, PWC with freshwater. Topping off is not as critical (if at all) in a freshwater tank

Last edited:
lol, ja, i knew that! ;) I have a freshwater tank so I don't think salt will be an issue (I put my question in the wrong forum) newbies hey? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, ja, i knew that! ;) I have a freshwater tank so I don't think salt will be an issue (I put my question in the wrong forum) newbies hey? ;)

Hehehe. Newbie screw up, no biggie. We've all been there!

You still have salts and other solids in your water even if it is freshwater. I wonder if it is possible to have 100% water and would the fish be able to live in it?

I saw condensation and then evaporation. If it was condensation I would say either your house or water is way to hot with the other being way too cold!

Being winter where you are I figured it out ;).

Do you have a canopy or other cover on your tank? That might help a little bit with keeping some of the water in. I have a 2.5g water jug I usually keep filled during the winter here in order to just top off my tank. I use the de-chlor and just let it sit around. I know I'm supposed to temperate match the water coming into the tank but I usually try to add back the evaporated water before it gets to be a 1/2 inch down in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom