Makeshift pond, how do I make this work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

F.Sam

Aquarium Advice Freak
Summer's in Belgium! And I'm ready for a little project, here's what I want to do (don't expect rocket science):

I was digging through the garden shack and saw a big unused flower pot, like this one:
https://www.repotme.com/orchid-pots/Flower-Pot-Black-10.html

I figured it would be cool to have a little outdoor summer 'pond' with some livebearers or minnows for the summer. So I started filling it up with water, apperently it can contain 50liters of water. I quickly added some gravel and a big amazon I still had going in one of my planted tank.

And then it struck me: I have no filtration or aeration.. And I wasn't really planning on using any electricity for this makeshift 'pond'. So what do I do now? I'm worried the mosquitos will like the stagnant water, but on the other hand, I think the livebearers will make quick work of any larvae.

Do I just do a 10liter water change every 4 days or something? What do I have to do to make this 'pond' work? I'm guessing some kind of water movement is necessary to keep the future fish healthy and happy. I'm not too worried on temperature changes, since summers in Belgium are usually quite stable, and I'm planning to keep it until autumn.

So what do you guys think about it? Should I continue, introduce some fish? Or should I just use it as a grow-out for water plants?

Any advice/remarks is/are welcome.

A stagnant body like that, even with water changes, is likely to be problematic without filtration and aeration. Any reason you can't at least run an air stone? Too far away from the power source? Air line is pretty inexpensive. I have one air pump running 2 tanks, with long lines going through a hole in the floor to the basement tank.

I have a have about a dozen water garden pots. 10-30 gallons

Small water lilies, cranium lilies, backpack, pickerel weed etc.
Most have the plants in fabric bags or pots. I live Florida where the pots don't freeze we get a 28F once in while but the water doesn't freeze.

Each pot has gambusia, a native live bearer. These take care of the mosquitos. No filter. In the summer it rains a lot in the winter I replace evaporation. The water is clear, the fish keep the mosquitos down, Lots of blooms in the pots. The fish reproduce in the pot. Some of the pots have had fish for over 5 years. Sometimes I can't find a fish in a pot so I drop in a pregnant female. Al

Hello guys, so I bought a 5meter long airtube and hooked it up in my garden shack.. It runs all the way through the vegetation so I don't even see it (happy me)! I used aroud 50 liters of seeded aquarium water en then ten more liters of tap water. I also bought 3 male and 7 female guppy's in the store. This is the result:

Yesterday the water was a good 17 degrees, the fish were looking good and healthy.. Today I woke up with them all lying on there sides/upsidedown (fins clamped). So I checked the water temp and it was 10 degrees celsius. (Summer has just begun, maybe I dropped them in too early? The weatherman did say that temps were gonna drop this weekend..)

So I quickly moved them all inside, into a 20l tank. There they recovered, I think one is a lost cause though.

Are there any non-goldfish aquarium fish that would thrive better in these low temps? Some people have had success with danio's I think? Let me know, I'm always open to advice!

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Is that wisteria (the purple flowers)? It's very picturesque.
For plants you could try Bacopa species. I've had it in my pond and it does fine even under the ice in winter. Same with dwarf sag.
For fish, you could try Gambusia species (Mosquito fish). These have been in my small pond the last few years (year round). Good side: hardy, eats mosquito larvae. Bad side: blend in well, hard to see. You might also consider a few rosy red minnows or even White Cloud Mountain minnows.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The plant with the purple flowers is commonly referred to as 'blue rain' in Belgium. I don't know it's scientific name though.

I have been looking at the Gambusia, they look a great deal like female guppy's in my opinion. But I'd like something easy to spot and a bit more colorful. Hence why I went with guppy's in the first place. Also I do not plan to have this 'pond' over winter.

I have also been thinking about the white clouds, but I thought they needed temps around 15 degrees celsius as well? How would they handle a drop to 10 degrees?

Guppy's have recovered well, one died, will re-release them once it gets a bit warmer. Thanks for the plant ideas, Bacopa would be an interesting choice!

The female gambusia and some males are similar in look to guppies.
We have black and white marbled males which are quite striking in our pond.

Guppies will be much more colorful. Patties or swordtails would work well too.
We have a store here that sells mixes of them for feeder fish.
Small expense for a summer show.

Back
Top Bottom