Malawi cichlid and clown loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris182

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys

New here, and had a quick question for you guys.

I have recently set up a Malawi cichlid tank and now have 16 young uns swimming about. I also have a common pleco within ad well.

I have just added 2 clown loaches to the tank to eat any snails that may pop up and to generally add more colour to the tank, however there appears to be a little hostile reception to them at the moment. There appears to be fin nipping from several of the malawi too. The chap who sold me them (pets at home) informed me there would be no problems with adding them.

I was wondering if I have just been feed a load of BS or if this is normal behaviour initially? I don't like to see the fish suffer so if it is not a good idea, please let me know and I will transfer them to the other tank.

Many thanks for your help

Chris

You were fed a heeping load of it.

African cichlids such as your Malawis are visious and clown loaches are no match for them.

Thanks for the advice. The clown loach have appeared to settle in now. They took a little stick to start with but now are free to roam as they please with very little/ no trouble from them at all. I'm wondering if they were just showing it who is boss?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Hopefully the truce stays. My cichlids won't tolerate anything with them besides the albino algae eater that has been there since day one. They even ate my snails. Good luck and hope it works out.

Unfortunately there's another problem. Clown loaches get too large for your tank (eventually) and prefer different water conditions that malawis.

Too small for a 260 l tank? Didn't think they get so large. I was informed they get to about 6 to 8 inches max lol it's amazing how poorly informed you can be by a local fish store! Cheers for info, I'll look into giving them a new home asap

Just thought I'd let you know the clown loaches are doing really well now with the Malawi and have no trouble eating and are left alone. I don't know if I'm lucky or what but apart from the first day, they have been totally fine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom