Male platy with a strange lump.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellenquacker72

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hen i first got this fish, i noticed his scales werent totally smooth in one small section of his tail. I just thought it was how he was. But now , 2 months later, its grown into a bump under his scales that seems to be under the skin. Its only in one spot, so i dont think its dropsy, but the scales are raised. Hes in a 20g with 2 other platies and some pygmy cories. Last time i checked ammo 0 trite 0 trate <5. ph 8.3.
What could it be? A tumor? Bacterial Infection? I have also had problems with this fishy being very fat. Hes always eating, which is why i suspect, but you never know.

From the top you can see the section where the scales are raised. Its kind of freaking me out...

can we have a pic? it may be parasitic and this is now raised where it has bitten it.
or bacterial, swelling due to infection of a cut or something.

actually, my guppy has a strange lump too. so if someone can chime in it would be brilliant x

I couple of months ago I read that platties and swordtails were used to investigate cancer since they suffer from this. Could it be cancer?

On the other hand, most infections produce inflammation so it could also be parasites

Xand3r said:
I couple of months ago I read that platties and swordtails were used to investigate cancer since they suffer from this. Could it be cancer?

On the other hand, most infections produce inflammation so it could also be parasites

I just read about this yesterday, and it sounds a lot like my poor platy might have melanoma at the base of his tail :( He is mostly black which doesnt help.

Hes been acting normal until today. He was eating and swimming fine yesterday. But this morning when i went down to feed them, he was at the bottom of the tank. The only way he seems able to move is my wiggling his whole body. Didnt eat, and doesnt move much. On one side of the bump, a of the sticking out scales seem to be turning white, and the fan part of his tail is looking kind of grey. Is there anything i can do for him? I hate seeing him like this :(

He died yestday :(
Note! If anyone sees a fish with strange black pigmentation, Dont get it! They are a high risk for melanoma.

Ellenquacker72 said:
He died yestday :(
Note! If anyone sees a fish with strange black pigmentation, Dont get it! They are a high risk for melanoma.

I'm sorry! :-( do you have a pic of what it looked like?

No i didnt get a picture. I didnt want to remember him that way. Near the end he had a lumpy large pea sized bump under his scales. The base of his tail was about as fat as his tummy area. And the morning i found him, the lump and tail were grey. It was quite sad. :(

Back
Top Bottom