mandarin food supply

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whitetiprs

Aquarium Advice Activist
So after months of waiting I finaly got the fish I have been waiting for a green mandarin. I have been planning on getting one for awhile and want to make sure I can keep it alive and health. I have a sump/fuge with a compartment of LR and an area with cheato plus I moded my aquaclear 150 into a small hang on back fuge that dumps right into the main tank. There are a ton of pods and shrimp in the sump and a few in the HOB mod fuge. I have over 100 lbs LR in the main and 10 in the sump.

However I do have a six-line wrasse which I feed everyday but does compete for the pod somewhat, Problem? Is there anything else I can do to help keep pods in my tank and do I even need to HOB mod?

sorry for the long post

Not a long post lol.

It will compete with it for food but with that much lr in your tank and with that many pods there should be enough to go around. Have you tried getting it on frozen foods at all? That would be just a precautionary thing but it doesnt HAVE to.

You dont have to have the hob but it will be another area to grow copepods.

From what you've said so far they should be fine, as long as the sixline is being feed other foods. It wont look for copepods as much and theres plenty of lr and copepods.

well I have only had it for 3 days now and I think it is the coolest fish ever, but as for feeding it prepared food I am going to try and feed it mysid and brine shrimp plus cyclo-peez with all the water movement off.

well after a good 15 min of pounding the S#!@ out of a few of my sump rock I was able to construct two good sized pod piles in my main tank, plus let out alittle extra aggression. :wink:

lol... Do you have any macroalgae at all? If you can get some i would highly recommend it for helping the pods breed. THey live in it and breed like crazy.

They are pretty cool creatures....ive done a lot of research on them and have kept the lesser of the dragonets...scooters. If im not totally overstocked when i get my seahorses and my jawfish for my 65 when its all set up i might set up a breeding place for some pods and order a bunch and let them breed then i might get one.

Back
Top Bottom