Manjano? Aiptasia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeftCoaster

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Since the FAQ under Identification doesn't work (can only see one pic no matter what you click), I'm forced to start here.
This is two pics of a "volunteer" that just showed up in my tank a couple of months ago, even though I haven't added anything new in at least 9 mos! It started out about the size of a dime, which means it may have been in here longer and I just didn't see it, and is now about 2" tip to tip at the base.
It has slender "stalks" which have a distinctive pink pointed tip and are about an inch long when it is "happy".
It was suggested by my brick & mortar place that it might be either a Manjano or Aptasia, but they didn't see a good pic.
Any one else??
Thank you in advance

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 95
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
They look like majanos, aptasia are usually brown and have very slender tentacles .

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400738539.680648.jpg
This first one is a majano

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400738560.136177.jpg
And this is aptasia

It is quite possible for it to be neither of the two, however they are the most common.

Thanks Amitas,
It's definitely not the aiptasia, and doesn't have the long base that your pic of the mama no shows as it sits flat on the rock, nor the fattened tentacles, so maybe it ain't either. I won't try and get rid of it yet.

In that picture the majanos have an exceptionally long foot, they often are short stumpy anemones. I would honestly try to remove them now, once they take hold of a tank, it is very very hard to get them all

Looks to me to be a rainbow bubble tip anemone. Not aiptasia and I don't think majano.

Well I guess it could possibly be a colorful variety of majano.

So I went out and got a book called "Anemone Fishes and their host anemones" by Daphne Fautin & Gerald Allen.
By using their identification guide, it came up with Heteractis crispa.
I'd hate to kill something that is so pretty just on a suspicion, but I also don't want to ruin my tank!

Do you have a small 10 gallon you could set up?

You could make a very simple QT, and place the anemone inside until you can get a positive ID.

Back
Top Bottom