Maracyn and fungus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

russrimm

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a bumble bee (african)cichlid who started showing some white looking stuff on his dorsal fin, it looked kinda fungusy.

I quarantined him into a 5 gallon tank and put half a tablet of Maracyn in each day (it says 1 tablet per 10 gal tank). Now, the fungus seems to have gone down a bit, but his stomach looks kinda sunken in and his gills look kinda reddish in color, and he doesn't look really good to me.

Is he just suffering from side effects of the medication? He's eating a little, but not a ton. He's kinda darting around really fast too when we get close to the tank.

Any suggestions?

Test the water in the OT. You should do an immediate 50% water change as well. How long has the fish been in the QT since the last water change? Also, What food are you offering the fish while in the QT and how often?

Test the main tank fully, including nitrates. Low nitrates will help prevent the fungus from returning.

He's been in the QT for 4-5 days now (total). His gills are kinda pinkish red lately with a weird colored spot near them, and his belly is kinda slanted upward. He seems to be eating good though. We just did a 40% water change in his 5 gal tank and dropped another 1/2 Maracyn in. Before the water change the ammonia reading was 0. Nitrates are < 2.5.

You may want to examine that colored spot near the gills a little closer. Touch it. Use a finger nail to see if it lifts off.

What type of food are you feeding him, how much and how often? He might not be getting enough.

Since the ammonia is 0 and his gills are red, I thought it could be parasites. A skinny appearance, and not eating well, are also associated with parasites. Check for a parasite medicine in the Mardel line. Read the label to see if you can use the antibiotic along with the parasite medicine. I think you can, but just make sure. Also, Jungle has a food designed to help rid the fish of internal parasites, called Pepso Food.

Back
Top Bottom