Marble Queen flowers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zezmo

Aquarium Advice Addict
The Echinodorus cordifolius "Tropica Marble Queen" is one of my favorite plants. I started growing it about a year ago. My original plant grew many plantlets and has since been sold. I grew one of the plantlets to a full plant. That one was featured in many of the pics of my old 55 gallon tank. That plant also produced many plantlets, one of which I tossed into my low tech 29. It has grown slowly in there, but in the last month it has finally matured and put out its own plantlets.
Last week, I has a first. The emmersed buds of the largest plantlet flowered. Here are a couple shots.
29-queenemersedflower1.JPG

29-queenemersedflower2.JPG

After a couple days the flowers dried up, I clipped the plantlet and moved it to another tank. Today, one of the submersed plantlets actually flowered underwater:
29-queenflower-3.JPG

this shot was right after feeding (which is when I noticed the flower)
29-queenflower-above.JPG

Here is the submersed flower with a red Nosed shrimp on it (Rudolf Shrimp)
29-queenflower-rudy2.JPG

29-queenflower1rudy.JPG

Here is a shot of the whole plant, and most of the tank at that. You can also see one of my Jellybean Tetras (orange) and a Greenfire Tetra (red)
29-marblequeen.JPG

Not real sure if I am supposed to try and "pollinate" the flower somehow to produce a seed. I may try that if anymore flower emmersed.

It's such a wonderful feeling when one of your plants flowers for you. Congratulations on both the flowering and the excellant pics of the event.

Back
Top Bottom