Marine land penguin filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

just_doitman

Aquarium Advice Regular
I mainly want to know opinions on marineland filters and wether or not to get them? Tips or tricks to keeping biowheel moving?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'd pass. I had the Marineland Emperor 280 and the Marineland Penguin 200. Initially they were fine but both later developed noise (most likely from the impellers).
I'm not completely sold on the effectiveness of the bio wheel compared to other bio media. To keep it spinning properly, just make sure that the axle and axle mounts are clear of gunk (a Q-tip might be useful).
Then there is the cartridge. You are basically stuck with proprietary cartridges that will eventually need to be replaced, even after rinsing and reusing many, many times. The filter does allow you to customize the filter media selection (e.g. - floss, sponge, ceramic media, zeolite, purigen, peat, etc).

I've used them for years and I have been quite happy with then. I'm going to try flu value on my new tank because of what I have heard but I love my marineland filters. Easy to clean and I've used the same cartridges for a long time without having to replace them.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have used marineland filter since I can remember ! I have 1 fluval and 4 marineland various sizes! My oldest on has been running for 5 years!! I love them! I keep my water level high and my bio wheels run fine! I really don't like my fluval but everybody as there on preference!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm honestly enjoying my marineland as well any other ideas of media that can be put in second slot?

Anyone know what the point of these are ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447894408.842635.jpg in a tank? Idk what it does on my filter

Is it better to do that?

Depends on the situation. If there is a lot of floating debris in the water column, increasing the openings at the upper intake may help. Likewise, if the majority of debris is in the lower portion of the tank, do the opposite.

I had a penguin 350B and a 200..

The 350B completely crapped out...in ply a few months.

The 200 is still running but I wouldn't say smoothly.

Save yourself a bunch of hassle. Pay a little extra and get aquaclear. You will not be disappointed. They are very well built and never had a single issue from any of them and I have quite a few now of all sizes.

Caleb

Huh, when I was younger I loved the penguin series... did they change something?

I think nowadays they have moved more towards "quantity over quality" instead of the other way around.

I will say tough I have a 10g heater by them that's still trucking along after about 10 or so months.

Caleb

They do make refillable media containers which allows you to use the type of media you want in what configuration you want.

Well we shall see if I regret getting 2 penguin 350s....

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They do make refillable media containers which allows you to use the type of media you want in what configuration you want.

Yeah the one I have had multiple slots for different things

Well we shall see if I regret getting 2 penguin 350s....

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Honestly I'm happy with mine it's super quiet and does a great job!

Same here. I have Penguins on my 10, 20L and 55 gallon. Sometimes the bio-wheels slow down, but I find that if you "play" with them a little, and maybe the impeller needs cleaning too, they will start up again without much trouble. They keep my tanks SUPER clear! Nothing else has come close to the excellent job they do for me, and I've only had to replace one or two filters in five years, on 3 tanks.

I can't get with the bio wheel, mine would constantly stop and id have to mess with it, even though I knew it was a gimmicky woo factor I'd still have to make it spin.. pass... aquaclear is a far superior product..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom