Marine Tank - Power Failure question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvijay07

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it true that a whole marine tank can be lost if there is a power failure for 2 or 3 days completely ? Please describe thanks.

Vijay

If power is out for 2 or 3 days then yes a total loss could occur.

The problem is with temperature falling to low, lack of water movment thus a much lower level of oxygen in the water, lack of water movment means that waste that corals excreet cant be removed from the corals imedeate area and they suffer, lack of light for the corals. Most of the corals food comes from photosynsis so with no lights and no water current there is no way to get food to the coral polyps.

shawmutt said:
Wow, I never knew they were so delicate

I had a feeling and I am glad that I asked this question. Without verifying all the facts investing ina marine tank is not advisable. Specially, considering the fact that they are fairly expensive compared to the fresh water tanks.

Vijay

Vijay do you often have periods of long power outages? A small/medium sized gas generator is always a good back up if you do have issues with power stability. Then you can not only put your tank but you can also put your refridge and freezer if you have one on it to keep food from spoling.

Places also sell battery powered air pumps. You can use these to help keep water moveing in the tank. Wrapping the tank in heavy blankets will help keep temperatures up aswell.

These are excellent suggestions. However, power outages are not at all common in my area. But when they do occur, they last some time. Buying additional equipment to back all this up only increases the expenses. While all this is helpful, I have a limited budget for now. Hence, it is better to work within those limitations.

Vijay

along with the other things mentioned, it is not just marine tanks and coral that suffer. Freshwater tropical fish will die as well. Not to mention if it is winter, you have the heat loss issues. And the losses can occur alot sooner than two or three days.

Good point hara, I was going online here to make that same point. Any tropical fish reguarless of type of water is not going to fair very well if the temperatures get down below 72F for a prolonged period of time. If you live where it can get cold like your profile says your in canada so I can expect if you experence a power outage from say an ice storm and you use electric to power your home heat then the air temperature in the room will fall.

Power outages are things any serious aquarists has to make plans for. I myself dont have a generator but if/when I can afford one I plan on getting one just incase. And like I oultined above its not just for the tanks. A generator can be used for many other household uses in case of such a prolonged outage.

I lost power last year due to a lighting strike next to my house for 18 hours. This was in the summer so I was ok for water temperature but one thing that was of concern was the lower oxygenation so every 30 min or so I would go and circulate the water at the surface with my hand to help boost the oxygen content. Had I had a battery powered air pump that would have been good to use.

two weeks ago, we spent 350. on a gas generator..I would have thought it had
enough power to do whatever we wanted..not so., but it will get us out of trouble.

How many killowatts does it put out?

I guess thats how you measure the capacity of a generator.

I am at work, but I remember it saying 1000 peak watts, 900 running average.
7.5 amps

1000 peak watts, 900 running average. 7.5 amps

Yep, that is only for occassional outings, or to have a party... The generator you would need for that kind of power outage would have to accept 100 amps or greater. You would then be able to technically run your house. I saw one advertised in the paper here for $2500.00 and it was used...

The generator that Hara mentioned wouldn't even run my tank completely.

yeah, but it should get us out of a bind, run some pumps etc. (at least I surely
hope so as I am banking on it)

I think it would run my 80. But using some estimated numbers for pump usage. I think it would be maxed out with my lights and heaters if/when they cycled on.

But yes it should adiquatly run a decent size heater and plenty of circulation pumps. Possibly limited lighting

would a computer backup battery work for somthing like that? Im gonna go look it up right now ill be back.

Yes but not a small backup. If you plan on running anything other than pumps then no I would not go with batteries as the draw is going to be to much. But if you just want to keep your circulation pumps going then yes a mid to large battery backup system would work fine for a short outage. For an outage of days lenght then no a battery system would not work.

I just bought a power inverter for my car so that we can hook up a tv for road trips. It's 350W w two 110V outlets. This should be enough to at least keep the water circulating and heater going in case of emergency. It was pretty cheap - $60

nice generator at costco 199.00 1200watt gas 90amp. it is running my system 2x500wattmhx2 55watt pc's 600gph refugium pump,235gph pump for the chiller, protein skimmer,doulble whisper air pump,300gph pump for overflow,200watt heater,aquaclear 500gph power filter. it says it can go to 1500watts,i guess it is true.

darn thats a sweet price. I guess its loud ant it. Kind of like having a lawnmower running outside.

Ill have to look into this when i got to price club again.

How heavy isit? I would have to bring this home in the trunk of my car and I dont think it will fit unless its real compact.

Back
Top Bottom