Marineland Penguin 150 ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Tex

Aquarium Advice Addict
Saltwater to Freshwater ?'s

Im watching a penguin 150 on aquabid that was part of a saltwater system can it still be used as a freshwater filter..?

Last edited:
Yeah, it can be reused for FW. Just get new filter pads and either get a new biowheel or give the old one a good soak. And soak the whole filter to get rid of the salt.

Yeah, it can be reused for FW. Just get new filter pads and either get a new biowheel or give the old one a good soak. And soak the whole filter to get rid of the salt.

As in tge entire filter or justbtge cartridge? It has what looks like dried up salt or just dry algae all over it so ill be soaking tge entire thing in hot water to clean it

Clean it, scrub it and rinse it really well. Grab a new set of cartridges ("Rite Size") and a biowheel if you want to use that, and you'll be good to go.

Make sure you clean the impeller and it's housing really well too.

Clean it, scrub it and rinse it really well. Grab a new set of cartridges ("Rite Size") and a biowheel if you want to use that, and you'll be good to go.

Make sure you clean the impeller and it's housing really well too.

sweet! thanks bud. il be soaking it for a few hours in hot water in the sink just to help remove all the gunk on it, and hopefully all the salt remnants

one more question do i really NEED the bio wheel..?

sweet! thanks bud. il be soaking it for a few hours in hot water in the sink just to help remove all the gunk on it, and hopefully all the salt remnants

one more question do i really NEED the bio wheel..?

You don't need it IMO it doesn't do much at all

You don't need it IMO it doesn't do much at all

thats what i thought, my emperor 400 runs WAY better without em, i just wish the discharge wasnt so steep so it makes a mess of things when the water gets low lol

another question, can i use "floss" packed in behind the filter cartridge for the large gunk? where can i get it in texas? (chain store)

thats what i thought, my emperor 400 runs WAY better without em, i just wish the discharge wasnt so steep so it makes a mess of things when the water gets low lol

another question, can i use "floss" packed in behind the filter cartridge for the large gunk? where can i get it in texas? (chain store)

Just use a polyfill from a crafts store. You can get a huge bag for next to nothing. Make sure it is 100% polyester, and doesn't have any flame retardant added to it.

Just use a polyfill from a crafts store. You can get a huge bag for next to nothing. Make sure it is 100% polyester, and doesn't have any flame retardant added to it.

so do i change it when its full of crap or do i wait unitl i change filters..?

If possible, run both simultaneously for a couple of weeks to get some BB in the new stuff, then toss the old.

so i dont want to change them at the same time..? like right now i would just add it in there with the old filter, but when its time to change them out, do i do the filter and floss or just the floss..?

so i dont want to change them at the same time..? like right now i would just add it in there with the old filter, but when its time to change them out, do i do the filter and floss or just the floss..?

Alternate changes. Change the cartridge first, then the next week just rinse the floss in old tank water.

Back
Top Bottom