Massacre or am I missing something?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ktomminello

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 40g community betta tank, completely stable and established for about 8 months. My stock list was-
3 female betta
1 male betta
1 b raspbora
3 scissortail raspbora
5 oto cats
1 larger than I thought leopard pleco (foot long)
My stock list is now much smaller and I can't believe what I think happened so I'm gonna ask you guys for your thoughts... Here's my new stock list as of noon.
3 female betta
1 male betta
1 oto cat

Here's the back story.

I test my water 3 times a day, I do weekly water changes of 30%, I'm not a freshwater noob- salt on the other hand, lol. I did my weekly water change last night, tested before and after the change (I use strips for water change testing so I can't give you those exact parameters) everything seemed normal. I have several tanks and my 40g community is the most stable I have so it's the last one I do, then I sit back and zone out on it for a couple hours so I can assure you everything was normal as could be last night. Woke up this morning did my rounds (API freshwater master test) all things were perfect- water temp 77, ph 7.2, 0 ammonia, 0 trItes, no trAte problems. Fish doing their normal thing.

At noon I do my second round of tests, get to this tank and I notice 2 of my raspbora floating missing their stomachs, fins and eyes. Found the other 2 in the same shape stuck to the filter along with just the head of 2 of my oto cats. I found a 3rd upside down on top of my 'plecosauras', I knew there was something wrong with him because he never shows his face during the day, even at night the most he would do was push his head and his caudal (correct me if I'm anatomically wrong there- am trying to learn the 'proper' terms so aquarium nazis stop picking on me) fin- top fin out of his driftwood cave and graze. Upon closer inspection he too was dead with his mouth missing. I'm not 100% sure but I think I saw 2 of my oto cats alive, and I know my big boy oto was fine cause he was in his normal spot attached to the glass next to the air tube for my waterfall bubbler. 2 of my female betta looked normal, 1 female betta and my male betta are looking fat and constantly pooping.

I immediately did a 75% water change- checked my waste water- only trace amounts of ammonia, which I expected.

That being said- it seems obvious my betta had a feast, but that tank has been the same for a long time with absolutely no signs of aggression, it was cycled perfectly before the introduction of any of the fish and I'm baffled as to anything chemically that could have gone wrong to kill off only certain fish and dissolve them. Could it be that after such a long time my betta finally just snapped? I know they weren't hungry because I just fed them this morning.... Thanks for listening!!

Honestly, I can't imagine a Betta doing the kind of damage you are describing. Especially to a large pleco like that. Is there any possibility that some creature got in the tank, like a cray fish or something? Weird.

I wouldn't think so, since folks often add salt to freshwater tanks. Did you get any pics of the carnage?

No, I went into ocd panic mode and immediately got to work cleaning everything in the tank and changing water- if it wasn't a massacre I wanted to make sure my betta would be ok, all 4 of them are still doing fine, my noontime level check was 0 ammo, 0 trite, around 20 for trate, ph 7.2 temp of 78°F, it has been relatively the same (ph is sometimes a little lower and temp varies a degree or 2). My tap water is awesome tests in at <.5 ammo and ph 7.5, but there are no other differences. Baffling isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom