Massive Fish Death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iman74

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Today when my wife came home we found three of our fish stuck to the intake of the filter and our clown pleco dead at the bottom of the tank. The three fish that were on the intake were purchased at the same time and the clown pleco was new (2 days). They were fine in the morning and our two striped raphaels and our everclear fish and other neon tetra were fine. She tested the water and all normal levels (7.0 pH, 0 for anomnia, nitrite, and 5.0 for nitrate). After about 1/2 hour, the other neon tetra was gasping for breath and dying. She looked up on the internet and it said something about it being oxygen deprivation so she did a PWC, but the neon tetra died. The cat fish and the everclear fish are still around, the catfish seem to be spirited and the everclear fish is hiding (she thinks it didn't eat).

We had purchased another clown pleco which died the very next day and one of the striped raphaels and the neon tetra one day. Then went back and got a new clown pleco and another striped raphael. Then later on bought the cave piece for the catfish who are quite shy.

Could it be oxygen deprivation, the amount of new fish bought or even the cave piece? We are very frustated, my wife doesn't want to give up the tank but I feel like we should. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

iman74 said:
Today when my wife came home we found three of our fish stuck to the intake of the filter and our clown pleco dead at the bottom of the tank. The three fish that were on the intake were purchased at the same time and the clown pleco was new (2 days). They were fine in the morning and our two striped raphaels and our everclear fish and other neon tetra were fine. She tested the water and all normal levels (7.0 pH, 0 for anomnia, nitrite, and 5.0 for nitrate). After about 1/2 hour, the other neon tetra was gasping for breath and dying. She looked up on the internet and it said something about it being oxygen deprivation so she did a PWC, but the neon tetra died. The cat fish and the everclear fish are still around, the catfish seem to be spirited and the everclear fish is hiding (she thinks it didn't eat).

We had purchased another clown pleco which died the very next day and one of the striped raphaels and the neon tetra one day. Then went back and got a new clown pleco and another striped raphael. Then later on bought the cave piece for the catfish who are quite shy.

Could it be oxygen deprivation, the amount of new fish bought or even the cave piece? We are very frustated, my wife doesn't want to give up the tank but I feel like we should. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
1st you may want to add an airstone/air pump to eliminat O2 as a cause...

next how large is the tank?

is it city water and if so did you use dechlorinator when you did the PWC?

Could be alot of things. I had an old heater go haywire and practically cooked my fish one time. Another time I changed both filter at the same time and caused a major mini-cycle which took a few fish. Do you have children? Could they have done something to the tank or fish? What type of filters do you use?

I think you will get a lot of questions before you get answers. Do you use chemicals to control your water is another??

If you know how to do, it is difficlut to have a fish died. Check this things:

1. How big is your tank? Normally one gallon for each inch fish.
2. Do you dechlorinator water before you add water to the tank?
3. Maintain proper water temperature, usually around 72-78.
4. Use a efficient power filter. Don't change all filter media at the time in order to keep good bacteria. Don't change too often, except mechinal filter if they are really dirty.
5. Give different foods. Feed twice or three times a day, but not more than 5min feed.
6. Clean the gravel and change partial water weekly or more frequently.
7. Don't use chemicals in the tank, besides dechlorinator.
8. Use air pump if necessary. My filter will generate enough air to the tank so it is not necessary.
9. No trouble fish who may chase other fish to death.

In these ways, most of fishes won't die, unless specific fishes require certain PH, softwater, etc.

JDogg said:
1st you may want to add an airstone/air pump to eliminat O2 as a cause...

next how large is the tank?

is it city water and if so did you use dechlorinator when you did the PWC?
It is a 20 gallon tank and its city water. We use Stress Coat after we change the water.

ksfishguy said:
Could be alot of things. I had an old heater go haywire and practically cooked my fish one time. Another time I changed both filter at the same time and caused a major mini-cycle which took a few fish. Do you have children? Could they have done something to the tank or fish? What type of filters do you use?

I think you will get a lot of questions before you get answers. Do you use chemicals to control your water is another??
I changed the insert in the fish tank filter near the time. No one else goes near the tank, our daughter is 3 but she doesn't touch the tank. The room is warmer than the rest of the house but the heat in the tank stays fairly consistent.

I would go with the airstone, I use a bubble bar just because I like that look.

Also, I think I would add some activated carbon to my filter just to rule out any kind of chemicals in the tank.

Other than that, I might suspect bad stock from your LFS. They should give you a refund anyway on those fish.

Good luck!

Next how large is the tank?
20 gallons

City Water?
Yes

Dechlorinator?
We remove partial water, add enough for a 20-gallon tank, and add water and it's done.

Child?
3-year-old daughter, but knowing her I doubt she did anything.

Heater?
Before the PWC 74/75 degrees. After the PWC 80 degrees (death of fish was before this so it's not related) but slowly decreasing back to 75. We use a Python so it's best guess, and it's hit or miss.

In one weekend we got a total 4 fish: 1 died so we actually had 3 new ones. Plus a new toy that is a hollow cave due to the catfish showing a great deal of interest in hiding. On a side note, they so much act like cats; for instance I have a ceramic shark with a sign that says, "Bite Me". One of the catfish curled right up into the mouth of the shark.

Aqua Filter. I did rinse out the entire filter unit, tubes, ammonia and carbon insert, and changed the sponge. Reason for that was according to my log it was due for a sponge change (every 2 months), and the pipes attached to the filter were looking really crummy. I think now all that cleaning might have been too much, but like in the original post, from a testing aspect the water results are fine.

Do I use chemicals to control my water?
Before this forum, yes. However, after I lost all my fish, and redid the tank I came here for help. One of the things that I learned from this forum is try to avoid the use of chemicals: dechlorianted ones aside. If you have a problem, do a PWC long before adding chemicals.

Give different foods. Feed twice or three times a day, but not more than 5min feed.
I tried a once a day feeding but they showed signs of hunger. So I increased it to two days and that seems to work. Different foods: why?

Clean the gravel and change partial water weekly or more frequently.
I tend to do a PWC at least every Saturday. I mix up the gravel every couple of weeks. This is after the tank finally cycled.

Use air pump if necessary. My filter will generate enough air to the tank so it is not necessary.
How do you know if it generates enough air? Is there a way to measure this? I do in addition have toys; one is a skeleton that goes up and down because of a pump that is designed to give air to 10-gallon tanks (mine is 20 gallons). The purpose of this is not for oxygen, just that I like bubbles and skeletons/skulls in my tank.

No trouble fish who may chase other fish to death.
This was an issue in the past, not anymore.

Refunds are only eligible from 24 to 48hrs (varies on stores). To me it's not about the loss in money, it's the loss of fish. I finally after almost a year had a tank where everyone in the tank looked happy. The Neon Tetra was so lonely, but after 1hr off adding a fish of the same kind, he was a happy camper. For once they looked like they were having a blast, but that is over. Either way, I still have 3 fish left: two catfish that like to play, and a clear looking fish that I call: Ultra Clear. He's been spending a lot of time in the cave; not sure why.

iman74 said:
20 gallons

City Water?
Yes

Dechlorinator?
We remove partial water, add enough for a 20-gallon tank, and add water and it's done.

Hmm, if you have city water, chances are good it has chlorine or chloramine in it - both toxic to the fish and to the essential bacteria's. That's why when you do "add water", you should treat it with something like Prime, which neutralizes these and makes it safe for the inhabitants.

NeonJulie said:
iman74 said:
20 gallons

City Water?
Yes

Dechlorinator?

Hmm, if you have city water, chances are good it has chlorine or chloramine in it - both toxic to the fish and to the essential bacteria's. That's why when you do "add water", you should treat it with something like Prime, which neutralizes these and makes it safe for the inhabitants.

Right, but the water was not changed for a few days prior to this. These deaths were all sudden. The PWC took place "after" the deaths.

Not to mention I use the Python pump, so I add the treatments right before I fill it back up so it's in there, and then let nature takes it course. This is how I was told on this forum to do it.

The only red flag that comes to my mind is the fact that you totally cleaned the filter all at once. You would normally want to avoid cleaning everything in the filter to protect your bacteria colonies, but it sounds like you had enough in your tank not to cause a mini cycle.

Your fish will generally show signs of not having enough air. Labored breathing, staying near the top of the water (especially for bottom or mid feeders) are strong indications your O2 is lacking. It sounds like you have decent agitation. I lean on the side of too much air rather than not enough, about 1/3 of the back of my tank is bubble bars, I really like the look of the wall of bubbles and my fish have all of the O2 they could ever want.

iman74 said:
NeonJulie said:
iman74 said:
20 gallons

City Water?
Yes

Dechlorinator?

Right, but the water was not changed for a few days prior to this. These deaths were all sudden. The PWC took place "after" the deaths.

Not to mention I use the Python pump, so I add the treatments right before I fill it back up so it's in there, and then let nature takes it course. This is how I was told on this forum to do it.

Ok well what you said was "add water" without specifying a dechlorinator.

They are all dead. Might as well lock this thread now.

iman74 said:
Aqua Filter. I did rinse out the entire filter unit, tubes, ammonia and carbon insert, and changed the sponge. Reason for that was according to my log it was due for a sponge change (every 2 months), and the pipes attached to the filter were looking really crummy. I think now all that cleaning might have been too much, but like in the original post, from a testing aspect the water results are fine.

Sorry to hear the news. Btw, What type of water/temperature did you rinse the filtration off with? Also, no mention was made of pH parameters, did you verify this wasn't changed somehow?

iman74 said:
They are all dead. Might as well lock this thread now.
I'm soo sorry... i should have got back to this sooner :(

do not give up yet

if you are using a dicholrinator that removes both chlorine and chloramine (like prime) that is good...

run an air stone or some sort of bubble maker

i have some ideas if you want to give it another shot...

In one weekend we got a total 4 fish: 1 died so we actually had 3 new ones. Plus a new toy that is a hollow cave due to the catfish showing a great deal of interest in hiding. On a side note, they so much act like cats; for instance I have a ceramic shark with a sign that says, "Bite Me". One of the catfish curled right up into the mouth of the shark.
did you clean this good (not using soap) before putting into the tank to avoid introducing anything to the tank?

in the future do not clean the whole filter at one time... if you plan to change out the sponge then do not also change the filter pad...this makes sure you still have some bacteria in your filter at all times...

Give different foods. Feed twice or three times a day, but not more than 5min feed.
I tried a once a day feeding but they showed signs of hunger. So I increased it to two days and that seems to work. Different foods: why?
do not give into them appearing hungry... many fish will beg iven if they are not hungry...Differnt foods...same reason you do not eat pizza EVERY Day... gets borring and does not provide you with all the nutrient you need to be healthy...

can we get some tanks params?
Ammonia=
Nitrite=
Nitrate=
PH=

I could feed my angels a five course meal with dessert and they would still beg for food. It is hard not to give in, especially when it is fun to watch them eat!

Sorry to hear about your troubles, iman74. The only thing that popped out at me is the bit about cleaning the "Aqua Filter". I'm going to guess that you are speaking about an Aqua Clear filter, based on the 2 month time period for changing the sponge. If it is an Aqua Clear filter, there is no need to change the sponge, until it starts to disintegrate, which typically takes several years of constant use. Periodic cleaning by squeezing and rinsing in tank water, is all that is needed. Generally when water changes are done, you can use some of the water removed. I run several ACs, and believe them to be as good as any HOB on the market, and better than most. However, I don't use the carbon or ammo bags, as they aren't necessary. I do however, use a second sponge in all of them. Other than that, the only other thought would be that there is some contaminant in the water heater. Your basic practice seems basically sound, and I have, often, changed water and had the same type of temp differences as you describe with no ill effects. A rise in temp from using slightly warmer water, seems to have no negative effect in my experience.
So, bottom line here is that in spite of your best efforts, all fish are dead, which leas to the possible conclusion, that something came in with the new fish. It does happen. I recently bought 5 corys, and put them in a 25 gal tank with one variatus, basically a quarantine situation. All was fine for about 2 weeks, and then the corys died off at the rate of one a day, with no apparent until the day they died. they were gone in a few hours once symptoms showed.symptoms. The variatus is still fine several months later.
Don't give up, as, even with much experience, setbacks will still occasionally occur.

Sorry to hear about your loss. :cry: I had this exact same thing happen to me 2 months ago. I did a PWC on a friday night and by noon saturday all my fish were gasping for air swimming vertically at the top of the tank. It appeared as if they were all paralyzed on the rear portion of their body. The only thing that I did differently on my PWC was the use of Tetra's AquaSafe, which neutralizes chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals. My tank (120 gallons filtered by Tidepool I) is overstocked with about 75-80 mbuna of various sizes ranging from .5-5". Total I lost 15 fish. If not for my daughter I would have lost my entire stock. She caught and transported all fish to a 60 gallon that was set up as a grow out tank. It took a whole month for the remaining fish to recover from what ever it was that attacked them. I blame the AquaSafe :evil: . The remaining fish are all back in the 120 (after a complete overhaul) and are happy and breeding once again :D . From now on I try new products on a smaller tank before I use on my 120!

ksfishguy said:

I did the same silly thing a month back.

Learned my lesson the hard way.

DOH!

Back
Top Bottom