Maxima clam was eaten by Sally Lightfoots!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runway1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had a 2" Maxima clam for months and really enjoyed the little critter. About 2-3 weeks ago, I added two Sally Lightfoot crabs. This morning in the dime light, I noticed the two crabs were jossling around the front of the tank (they never do that). Upon closer inspection several hours later, EEEEKK!! My beloved Maxima was a hollow shell :eek: :!:

The only thing I can of is that those crabs I saw hours earlier (hadn't noticed the condition of the clam at the time :roll: ) were finishing their breakfast. Anybody heard of Sally Lightfoots eating clams before?? I never got that info, darn.

it is a possibility.....it is also possible that the clam died and they were taking care of business. Kind of hard to say for sure.

I couldn't imagine it died. It was very healthy 12 hours earlier when I fed the tank. Bummer. Really like that little guy.

Presuming they did kill it, would they do the same to a larger clam?

Larger clam = more food. :D

Put the clam in an inaccessible area. I'l try and get a picture to explain what I mean by this. ;)

hmmm... that seems very odd as Sally Lightfoot Clams are recommended for reef aquaria. It is possible your clam passed away as they do hollow out and shrivel up when they die.

Like I said, when I fed the tank the night before I was admiring my little guy. Full and healthy.

Had a bad experience with an emerald crab too. Getting fed up with crab problems but try and fish these critters out! Man, they're good.

Back
Top Bottom