Maxima clam?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacobsal91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Would a Small maxima clam or a simalar clam be
Ok in a 12 gallon nano reef? I have 'reef capable' compact florecents aparently feom what i read
They require intense lighting.. Any opinions?

(i dont know the exact specs on the bulbs.. Bought the whole tank used so the numbers on the bulbs are worn..)

I've read that clams need intense light. I have a 4" maxima in my 30 gal nano, but I also have 150w mh fixture. I would recommend sticking to soft coral until you can upgrade your lighting...hope this helps

Ok thanks i just read that i cant maintain that just yet... Was thinking of gutting my ligts and gettin LEDs...

LEDs will provide the lighting you need to support any type of life you'd want. I'd suggest looking into the taotronics LEDs that are sold on ebay. Many users of this forum use them with great results. That ane they are the cheapest option.

But when housing a clam, I wouldn't do so until ~month 6 of the tank being set up at the earliest to make sure everything in the tank is truly stable. Clams are not the easiest thing in the world to care for, to the point where I have not even attempted such yet.

Stunner lights are for looks only. You should not expect to grow/keep any corals or clams with those. I have the blue stunner LEDs to make the coral colors pop in my tank

So those are only for looks/lunar use?

I like them a lot. Are there reef capable led strips
Like those? Have a small nano cube so When it comes to modifying the hood im very limited with space...

I've had this debate with many many people all over the forums and most had told me they were more for looks and wouldn't help with coral growth etc... So I went with the AI SOL BLUE and cut it into my stock BC29 hood. Your not as limited as you may think.

image-1462497383.jpg

image-1137573649.jpg

image-3350143430.jpg

image-1258389885.jpg

A little DIY project and you can put in most of those awesome LED systems right into your stock hood and still use your stock splash guard which IMO is a HUGE plus.

Good luck.

Convict2161 said:
I've had this debate with many many people all over the forums and most had told me they were more for looks and wouldn't help with coral growth etc... So I went with the AI SOL BLUE and cut it into my stock BC29 hood. Your not as limited as you may think.

A little DIY project and you can put in most of those awesome LED systems right into your stock hood and still use your stock splash guard which IMO is a HUGE plus.

Good luck.

What are the dimentions of that fixture? And thats led with a cooling fan? How much was it?
Sry for so many questions but that looks like its exactly what i need

It's expensive I think I paid 400 for mine. They also have a nano version which is a lot smaller then the one I have. And yes they have a top middle cooling fan. I linked the site it's easier of you just look at them yourself. There are so many things you can do with it. It's fully dimming so my light starts at 7am and slowly ramps up to 50% at noon then ramps back down after to moonlights at 8pm then total darkness at 3am. It even has a lighting setting I have mine set to 20% chance at 1 a day pretty cool feature. Check them out.

http://www.aquaillumination.com/

You'll see the nano which was too small for my BC29.

Anyway my light is 1ft long by 5 1/4 wide.

Good luck I'm your search but I'd stay away from those stunner strips, I almost bought them but a member here was very helpful and saved me from making a big mistake. I was falling for the YouTube videos etc... Don't get me wrong there great lights to help colors pop! And show off your corals. But for growth and propagation of corals I think they fall short.

Hope this helps :)

Anything thing else feel free to PM me anytime.

Convict2161 said:
It's expensive I think I paid 400 for mine. They also have a nano version which is a lot smaller then the one I have. And yes they have a top middle cooling fan. I linked the site it's easier of you just look at them yourself. There are so many things you can do with it. It's fully dimming so my light starts at 7am and slowly ramps up to 50% at noon then ramps back down after to moonlights at 8pm then total darkness at 3am. It even has a lighting setting I have mine set to 20% chance at 1 a day pretty cool feature. Check them out.

http://www.aquaillumination.com/

You'll see the nano which was too small for my BC29.

Anyway my light is 1ft long by 5 1/4 wide.

Good luck I'm your search but I'd stay away from those stunner strips, I almost bought them but a member here was very helpful and saved me from making a big mistake. I was falling for the YouTube videos etc... Don't get me wrong there great lights to help colors pop! And show off your corals. But for growth and propagation of corals I think they fall short.

Hope this helps :)

Anything thing else feel free to PM me anytime.

Wow thats not cheap.. Seems worth it i was checkin them out those
Lights look perfect. I have a 12 gallon aquapod the nano one SHOULD be ok i still have read up on that
One..

If i do get that i would be spending a lot of
Money i may get a few stunners to add on because those lights make it look fantastic! Haha thank you for showing me that. Definatly on my list of things to buy

Back
Top Bottom