Maximum Nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
I usually do weekly water changes on my freshwater tank. But I just wanted to know what is the maximum allowable Nitrate levels before the health of my fishes are compromised? I just wanted to know because maybe I can do bi-weekly water changes as opposed to weekly. I know this probably also depends on what kind of fish I have, how hardy etc. Just wanted an average if possible. Or give me 2 versions: lightly stocked tank and maxed out tank. Thanks

Most hobbyists aim to keep nitrates under 20 ppm. If you have particularly sensative fish 10 or less would be your preferred goal.

I personally shoot for under 40 and haven't seen any issues with it. Two of my tanks that are fully stocked and have yet to lose a fish in the six months since they got set up.

I just do a 50% weekly water change and a nitrate test every other week or so just to check how things are going and that usually keeps my trates between 10 - 40

I usually do weekly water changes on my freshwater tank. But I just wanted to know what is the maximum allowable Nitrate levels before the health of my fishes are compromised? I just wanted to know because maybe I can do bi-weekly water changes as opposed to weekly. I know this probably also depends on what kind of fish I have, how hardy etc. Just wanted an average if possible. Or give me 2 versions: lightly stocked tank and maxed out tank. Thanks

I think under 40 would be fine. I do maybe monthly water changes because of my scheduke and I havent had any problems with that wait.

Nitrates

Hello Mar...

Most water keepers will tell you to keep the nitrates in the 20-30 ppm range. The fact is, nitrates are at the end of the nitrogen cycle and even higher levels in the 60-70 ppm range will cause your fish little or no discomfort. Weekly, large water changes are definitely best. If you don't have time for whatever reason to do them, then you can reduce the amount you feed to a little variety a couple of times a week and introduce more plants into the tank. Floating plants like Anacharis and Pennywort will help reduce nitrates. Your water changes, when you do them, will need to be at least 50 percent of the tank's volume.

B

Back
Top Bottom