May be stupid Question - Tank is smelling up the house

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaybritts

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is it normal to walk into the house and have a really strong Smell from the Aquarium ?
I have had this tank set up for just over 2 weeks now. It has had 2 20% water Changes in that time. I did have a plant die on me also. I took a water sample to our local fish store and they said it tested fine. I have since bought my own water testing kit and I will test the water today but I just did a 20% water Change yesterday.

No, that isn't normal at all Jaybritts. When you say the water tested fine at the lfs, what exactly did they test for? What type of odor is eminating from your tank? What type of decorations and substrate do you have? Have you added any chemicals or additives to the filter or water? Have you been feeding heavily and is there anything decaying in your tank?

These are all things that could possibly cause a strong odor.

You might want to vacuum deep into the substrate (if you have gravel substrate). There can be a huge detritus build up down there that could be adding to the odor.

A healthy tank usually smells like freshly turned earth - not at all unpleasant, and not detectable more than a few inches from the open top.

Could you describe the odor? It might help pinpoint the source. Sulfur or rotten egg-like odors might be due to blue green algae infestation. Ammonia or urine-like odors could be due to something dead and rotting in the tank.

The LFS telling you that your water test was "fine" is a little fishy. At 2 weeks they should have at least had something to say about ammonia being present.

Used equiptment that was never cleaned properly can create a bad smell when it gets wet again.

You could have overdosed ammonia.

We can throw all kinds of suggestions but you need to let us know what it smells like.

The LFS saying the water was fine just goes to show you never believe them, always ask for numbers.

Back
Top Bottom