Messed up cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThomasG07

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I had a 10 gallon tank that I was doing a fish in cycle in and I was in the middle of the cycle and had nitrites for about 2 weeks. I couldn't help my addiction to this hobby and I upgraded too soon to a 50 gallon and moved the filter media from the smaller tank into the bigger one and for the last month I have had nitrites and a little ammonia . I have 9 fish in this tank . Did I mess up my cycle? I have two 50 gallon filters on this tank. How much longer can I expect to be cycling?

My 46g took about 6 wks on its Fish IN cycle & my 10g took 8 wks. Nitrites in my 10g lasted 2 wks & the 46g only had them for a day so every tank is different. If you've had nitrItes for 2 wks I'd say you are REALLY REALLY close, mine were just gone one day. I tested for a week after to make sure.

shellieca said:
My 46g took about 6 wks on its Fish IN cycle & my 10g took 8 wks. Nitrites in my 10g lasted 2 wks & the 46g only had them for a day so every tank is different. If you've had nitrItes for 2 wks I'd say you are REALLY REALLY close, mine were just gone one day. I tested for a week after to make sure.

Thanks for the info

If you moved the media from the 10 to the 50 it shouldn't have messed up anything. lf you added more fish when you upgraded before the cycle was complete, that is probably why you're continuing to see toxins. What fish are in there now? Are you doing water changes to combat the toxins? Also keep an eye on PH; if it drops too much it can slow things (mid-low 6's). Here's a link if you haven't seen it: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom