Metal frame (antique) tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willyboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two old metal frame tanks that leak and I want to fix them up. Have any of you ever done this? How did you do it? Are they still safe to use? Did yours leak latter after you "fixed" it?

I have a Pemco, which I think was a knock off of the Meta-Frames, and I had a slow leak out of the bottom. I only stripped and redid the inside silicone. There is this black material where the glass meets the frame, and redoing that seemed daunting and messy to me. Holding up well so far (almost 2 years).

i'm bumping this thread because i just picked up an old metal frame tank that i want to rehab and had some questions. has anyone else tried the reseal on a metal frame tank that has a slate bottom? the tank i picked up is about 40 gallons, and is the approximate side of a 40 breeder tank, give or take. i found some small leaks on the water test, and say that someone had done a reseal with silicone in the past. i found what i think were the leaking spots and removes the silicone. my question is this: Will the silicone seal reliably to the slate, or do i need to reseal with something else; and if so, whats my best option?

i really think these older tanks need saving, and i have heard that it can be done, what do you all think?

Okay, I just read an article on this - Freshwater and Marine Aquarium, Feb 2007. :) One quick quote: "What they didn't know was that silicone doesn't stick to slate for very long."
They recommend using a glass bottom instead of the slate or lining the slate bottom with a glass liner that's all siliconed up - so you essentially have an all-glass aquarium on the inside with the slate liner on the outside bottom.

The article is called "Remanufacturing Metal-Frame Aquariums" :) I could probably be convinced to mail it to you when I'm done with the mag... :)

Didnt they use lead in the glass? Not that water is strong enough to leech the lead ( like alchohal does )...Id replace it anyways...probably very brittle with age.

As an update, i did indeed opt to line the bottom of the tank with plexiglass, and resealed it with silicone. 48 hours of watertesting later, tank doesnt leak. i plan a couple more days and then i will drain it and move it into position in its new home...:) pics to follow!

Back
Top Bottom